Odk/xforms - access across forms?

Hi all,

The project I am currently working on requires that value of certain
field labels be dynamic dependent on previously entered user values.
Base case example - research assistant queries subject for their age,
which is entered in field 'subj_age'. A later question needs to be
dynamically labeled based on that age - ie 'You said you were [25]
years old, please tell us about...'
After creating the skeleton of the form in Build, I went in and edited
the xml to get the above to work within a form.
You said you were years old,
please tell us about...

However, what I would ideally like to do is have that information
available across different forms.
That is, I have form CARER_INFORMATION where this age is entered, and
I have a different form CARER_ADHERENCE where the age is used in a
question label.

I have done a quick search of this group, plus the usual google stuff
(xpath and odk). Can't find anything, but I still suspect this is
doable... could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Colin

Colin,

It's not really doable without writing an external app that stores
that data and a new widget that calls that external app. You could
also potentially modify Collect to do both the storing and retrieving.
Bottom line is that you can't do this with the XForm.

Yaw

··· On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Colin wrote: > Hi all, > > The project I am currently working on requires that value of certain > field labels be dynamic dependent on previously entered user values. > Base case example - research assistant queries subject for their age, > which is entered in field 'subj_age'. A later question needs to be > dynamically labeled based on that age - ie 'You said you were [25] > years old, please tell us about...' > After creating the skeleton of the form in Build, I went in and edited > the xml to get the above to work within a form. > You said you were years old, > please tell us about... > > However, what I would ideally like to do is have that information > available *across different forms*. > That is, I have form CARER_INFORMATION where this age is entered, and > I have a different form CARER_ADHERENCE where the age is used in a > question label. > > I have done a quick search of this group, plus the usual google stuff > (xpath and odk). Can't find anything, but I still suspect this is > doable... could someone point me in the right direction? > > Thanks in advance > Colin

There's a lot of demand for this feature, I would love to see it, too.
Anyone working on it?

☞§※☼:airplane::open_umbrella::slight_smile:
~Neil

Hi all,

Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality. I
can see myself using it in a couple of instances.

I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way ODK
stores its data currently, ie as files. It would be best if the data is
stored in some kind of database.

The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in some
database too, and then dynamically generated on request.

This might force a re-thinking on how ODK stores its forms and data and
implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device. SQLite
comes into mind.

Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris proposal?

Regards
Kihara

··· On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick wrote:

Anyone working on it?

~Neil

You might also want to consider checking out CommCare:
http://www.commcarehq.org/

Android client is built on top of ODK and designed for this use case.

Cory

··· On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kihara Absolomon wrote:

Hi all,

Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality. I

I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way ODK

The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in
some database too, and then dynamically generated on request.

implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device. SQLite
comes into mind.

Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris proposal?

Regards
Kihara

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick mojotexas@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone working on it?

~Neil

The current plan is for Open Data Kit to address this problem in
version 2.0 of our tools. We understand that accessing data between
forms is very important.

However, it's still months away as there will be a lot of changes in
version 2.0 of the tools that is being prototyped and then changed
again.

Cheers,
Waylon

··· On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Cory Zue wrote: > You might also want to consider checking out CommCare: > http://www.commcarehq.org/ > > Android client is built on top of ODK and designed for this use case. > > Cory > > > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kihara Absolomon wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality. I >> can see myself using it in a couple of instances. >> >> I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way ODK >> stores its data currently, ie as files. It would be best if the data is >> stored in some kind of database. >> >> The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in >> some database too, and then dynamically generated on request. >> >> This might force a re-thinking on how ODK stores its forms and data and >> implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device. SQLite >> comes into mind. >> >> Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris >> proposal? >> >> Regards >> Kihara >> >> >> >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick wrote: >>> >>> There's a lot of demand for this feature, I would love to see it, too. >>> Anyone working on it? >>> >>> ☞§※☼✈☂☻ >>> ~Neil >>> >>> >> >

I'm extremely excited about odk tables which will help address some of
these issues.

Any estimate on an alpha release for this?

Thanks,

Matt

··· On May 9, 2012 12:13 PM, "W. Brunette" wrote:

The current plan is for Open Data Kit to address this problem in
version 2.0 of our tools. We understand that accessing data between
forms is very important.

However, it's still months away as there will be a lot of changes in
version 2.0 of the tools that is being prototyped and then changed
again.

Cheers,
Waylon

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Cory Zue czue@dimagi.com wrote:

You might also want to consider checking out CommCare:
http://www.commcarehq.org/

Android client is built on top of ODK and designed for this use case.

Cory

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kihara Absolomon soloincc@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality.
I

I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way
ODK

The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in
some database too, and then dynamically generated on request.

implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device.
SQLite
comes into mind.

Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris
proposal?

Regards
Kihara

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick mojotexas@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone working on it?

~Neil

Early July is our current target for alpha release.

Waylon

··· On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Matt Berg wrote: > I'm extremely excited about odk tables which will help address some of these > issues. > > Any estimate on an alpha release for this? > > Thanks, > > Matt > > On May 9, 2012 12:13 PM, "W. Brunette" wrote: >> >> The current plan is for Open Data Kit to address this problem in >> version 2.0 of our tools. We understand that accessing data between >> forms is very important. >> >> However, it's still months away as there will be a lot of changes in >> version 2.0 of the tools that is being prototyped and then changed >> again. >> >> Cheers, >> Waylon >> >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Cory Zue wrote: >> > You might also want to consider checking out CommCare: >> > http://www.commcarehq.org/ >> > >> > Android client is built on top of ODK and designed for this use case. >> > >> > Cory >> > >> > >> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kihara Absolomon wrote: >> >> >> >> Hi all, >> >> >> >> Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality. >> >> I >> >> can see myself using it in a couple of instances. >> >> >> >> I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way >> >> ODK >> >> stores its data currently, ie as files. It would be best if the data is >> >> stored in some kind of database. >> >> >> >> The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in >> >> some database too, and then dynamically generated on request. >> >> >> >> This might force a re-thinking on how ODK stores its forms and data and >> >> implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device. >> >> SQLite >> >> comes into mind. >> >> >> >> Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris >> >> proposal? >> >> >> >> Regards >> >> Kihara >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick wrote: >> >>> >> >>> There's a lot of demand for this feature, I would love to see it, too. >> >>> Anyone working on it? >> >>> >> >>> ☞§※☼✈☂☻ >> >>> ~Neil >> >>> >> >>> >> >> >> >

Glad to know there is support behind this feature and that it might be
available in time for our second phase.
In the mean time, we'll use a combination of duplicate paper forms,
data re-entry and form chunking to try to simulate this...

Thanks
Colin

··· On May 9, 10:14 pm, "W. Brunette" wrote: > Early July is our current target for alpha release. > > Waylon > > > > > > > > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Matt Berg wrote: > > I'm extremely excited about odk tables which will help address some of these > > issues. > > > Any estimate on an alpha release for this? > > > Thanks, > > > Matt > > > On May 9, 2012 12:13 PM, "W. Brunette" wrote: > > >> The current plan is for Open Data Kit to address this problem in > >> version 2.0 of our tools. We understand that accessing data between > >> forms is very important. > > >> However, it's still months away as there will be a lot of changes in > >> version 2.0 of the tools that is being prototyped and then changed > >> again. > > >> Cheers, > >> Waylon > > >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Cory Zue wrote: > >> > You might also want to consider checking out CommCare: > >> >http://www.commcarehq.org/ > > >> > Android client is built on top of ODK and designed for this use case. > > >> > Cory > > >> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kihara Absolomon wrote: > > >> >> Hi all, > > >> >> Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality. > >> >> I > >> >> can see myself using it in a couple of instances. > > >> >> I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way > >> >> ODK > >> >> stores its data currently, ie as files. It would be best if the data is > >> >> stored in some kind of database. > > >> >> The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in > >> >> some database too, and then dynamically generated on request. > > >> >> This might force a re-thinking on how ODK stores its forms and data and > >> >> implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device. > >> >> SQLite > >> >> comes into mind. > > >> >> Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris > >> >> proposal? > > >> >> Regards > >> >> Kihara > > >> >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick wrote: > > >> >>> There's a lot of demand for this feature, I would love to see it, too. > >> >>> Anyone working on it? > > >> >>> ☞§※☼✈☂☻ > >> >>> ~Neil

To clarify the alpha release is for ODK Tables which might help some
of your issues but it's a different model., The 2.0 version of the
tools are further out and no target date has been chosen.

Waylon

··· On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Colin wrote: > Glad to know there is support behind this feature and that it might be > available in time for our second phase. > In the mean time, we'll use a combination of duplicate paper forms, > data re-entry and form chunking to try to simulate this... > > Thanks > Colin > > On May 9, 10:14 pm, "W. Brunette" wrote: >> Early July is our current target for alpha release. >> >> Waylon >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Matt Berg wrote: >> > I'm extremely excited about odk tables which will help address some of these >> > issues. >> >> > Any estimate on an alpha release for this? >> >> > Thanks, >> >> > Matt >> >> > On May 9, 2012 12:13 PM, "W. Brunette" wrote: >> >> >> The current plan is for Open Data Kit to address this problem in >> >> version 2.0 of our tools. We understand that accessing data between >> >> forms is very important. >> >> >> However, it's still months away as there will be a lot of changes in >> >> version 2.0 of the tools that is being prototyped and then changed >> >> again. >> >> >> Cheers, >> >> Waylon >> >> >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Cory Zue wrote: >> >> > You might also want to consider checking out CommCare: >> >> >http://www.commcarehq.org/ >> >> >> > Android client is built on top of ODK and designed for this use case. >> >> >> > Cory >> >> >> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kihara Absolomon wrote: >> >> >> >> Hi all, >> >> >> >> Yes, this will be a very cool feature to add to the ODK functionality. >> >> >> I >> >> >> can see myself using it in a couple of instances. >> >> >> >> I wonder though how it can be implemented taking into account the way >> >> >> ODK >> >> >> stores its data currently, ie as files. It would be best if the data is >> >> >> stored in some kind of database. >> >> >> >> The forms will have to be dynamic, maybe the forms structure stored in >> >> >> some database too, and then dynamically generated on request. >> >> >> >> This might force a re-thinking on how ODK stores its forms and data and >> >> >> implement a kind of db, which can be installed on an android device. >> >> >> SQLite >> >> >> comes into mind. >> >> >> >> Yaw Anokwa, is this feasible? Doable I know yes. Is it a ludacris >> >> >> proposal? >> >> >> >> Regards >> >> >> Kihara >> >> >> >> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Neil Hendrick wrote: >> >> >> >>> There's a lot of demand for this feature, I would love to see it, too. >> >> >>> Anyone working on it? >> >> >> >>> ☞§※☼✈☂☻ >> >> >>> ~Neil