Problems with tablet having both ODK Collect and KoboCollect installed

Hi there,

Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect and ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been doing that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting Collect, you get:

Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db

I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before, immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect doesn't like it.

HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only re-isntalling ODK.

You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not tested.

I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both.

I'll add the link here in a second.

The corresponding topic on Kobo

(Not double posting, but since this is a cross-platform issue I think it's
relevent)

··· On Monday, 6 March 2017 22:20:28 UTC+3, cci.db....@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi there, > > Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect and > ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been doing > that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting Collect, > you get: > > Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk > folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db > > I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before, > immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share > folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect > doesn't like it. > > HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect > STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only > re-isntalling ODK. > > You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from > the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you > could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not > tested. > > I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both. > > I'll add the link here in a second.

Hi
I did not use Kobo or ODK for about three months now due to work changes. I did always use both on my phone, although only one open at a time accessing the same form. I never had this issue and a google search brought me here. I had submission going to two different places, so I simply set up one for submissions to "A" and the other for submissions to "B."

Perhaps there is and issue with the updates as this is a new problem for me.

··· On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 03:20:28 UTC+8, cci.db....@gmail.com wrote: > Hi there, > > Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect and ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been doing that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting Collect, you get: > > Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db > > I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before, immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect doesn't like it. > > HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only re-isntalling ODK. > > You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not tested. > > I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both. > > I'll add the link here in a second.

Just a quick update. Deleting the "instances.db" makes ODK work again until I open Kobo again. The other workaround is to start Kobo, select a blank form and select ODK as app to fill in the form. (If you set up a default app, I cannot help how to "undefault" it. :slight_smile: ) The form then seems quite ok to use. I did not check if the upload was correct, but is seems fine.

··· On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 03:20:28 UTC+8, cci.db....@gmail.com wrote: > Hi there, > > Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect and ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been doing that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting Collect, you get: > > Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db > > I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before, immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect doesn't like it. > > HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only re-isntalling ODK. > > You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not tested. > > I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both. > > I'll add the link here in a second.

I fixed the problem by deleting both ODK and KoBo collect, then going into
the folders and deleting the odk folder (had to do that in addition to
deleting the app). when I reinstalled ODK Collect (but not KoBo Collect)
everything worked fine.

··· On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 1:20:28 PM UTC-6, cci.db....@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi there, > > Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect and > ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been doing > that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting Collect, > you get: > > Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk > folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db > > I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before, > immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share > folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect > doesn't like it. > > HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect > STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only > re-isntalling ODK. > > You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from > the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you > could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not > tested. > > I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both. > > I'll add the link here in a second.

Hi Francis,
The two apps share the same database and folder and are not meant to be
used in parallel. So I recommend just using one or the other on the same
device - not both. Hope this helps!

Best,
Tino

··· On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:10 AM, wrote:

The corresponding topic on Kobo - http://support.kobotoolbox.
org/customer/en/portal/questions/16861545-kobocollect-causing-read-only-
error-on-instance-db-upgrade?new=16861545

(Not double posting, but since this is a cross-platform issue I think it's
relevent)

On Monday, 6 March 2017 22:20:28 UTC+3, cci.db....@gmail.com wrote:

Hi there,

Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect
and ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been
doing that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting
Collect, you get:

Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk
folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db

I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before,
immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share
folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect
doesn't like it.

HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect
STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only
re-isntalling ODK.

You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from
the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you
could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not
tested.

I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both.

I'll add the link here in a second.

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--

--
Tino Kreutzer
Program Manager KoBoToolbox
Tel +1 617 372 7051 | Skype tinokreutzer
tino.kreutzer@kobotoolbox.org

Hi Jacques,

The odk folder was not designed for other applications (even ODK
derivatives) to read/write to. Those who choose to use both
applications at the same time will get unexpected behavior. That
behavior might result in data loss.

I have an email out to the Kobo team to find a good way to resolve this.

Yaw

··· On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:17 AM, wrote: > On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 03:20:28 UTC+8, cci.db....@gmail.com wrote: >> Hi there, >> >> Someone here has been reporting a problem when having both KoboCollect and ODK collect installed on the same tablet. Apparently they have been doing that for some time, but now there's been an issue. Upon starting Collect, you get: >> >> Can't upgrade read-only database from version 3 to 4: (path to odk folder)/odk/metadata/instance.db >> >> I've just tried it on my device, and although ODK worked fine before, immediately after installing KoboCollect that issue came up. They do share folders, hence it seems Kobo is messing with the .db file and Collect doesn't like it. >> >> HOwever, what's worst is that when you uninstall KoboCollect, ODK Collect STILL doesn't start. Even after uninstalling both, and then only re-isntalling ODK. >> >> You must instead uninstall both app, manually delete the odk folder from the phone & then re-install collect. Then it's fine. Presumably that you could just delete the faulty .db file and that would work out, but not tested. >> >> I've posted this on Kobo as well since the issue affects both. >> >> I'll add the link here in a second. > > Just a quick update. Deleting the "instances.db" makes ODK work again until I open Kobo again. The other workaround is to start Kobo, select a blank form and select ODK as app to fill in the form. (If you set up a default app, I cannot help how to "undefault" it. :-) ) The form then seems quite ok to use. I did not check if the upload was correct, but is seems fine. > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I don't have useful details (android version, ODK Collect version, etc.) but on a phone with both ODK Collect and Kobo 1.4.8 installed, the user is getting this error:

Any idea if it's related to this? Or some other issue?

It's very likely because of Kobo. What happens if the user uninstalls Kobo and reboots the device?

They reported that removing one of the apps seemed to resolve the issue. I think they ended up moving the unsubmitted forms off, deleting both apps, and re-installing only one. I don't think they tried a device reboot. Will keep that in mind if I run into the issue. Thanks @yanokwa.

I can confirm that you should only have one of the two apps installed at a time to avoid this and other issues. It used to be possible to run both concurrently but now only one can be used at a time.