Provide a way to get mbtiles to Collect without having to connect to a computer

If you use my Field Mapping Tasking Manager, you can:

• Use QGIS to create a layer with one polygon around every farm.
  • Upload those polygons as GeoJSON to the FMTM. It automatically creates a project with one form per farm, and also cuts one MBTiles file for each farm from the TMS of your choice.
  • it also generates a QR code for each farm, which links to the appropriate form and any media associated with it per farm.
  • As soon as any of those QR codes are loaded into ODK, it immediately configures that project and downloads the relevant media. 1 farm -> 1 form -> 1 set of media files -> 1 link to a downloadable MBTiles file covering only that farm (and, of course, anyone can load up as many QR codes as they like to map multiple farms).

That's why I want the MBTiles downloader, and in the long run, would dearly love to be able to specify that file in the form! At the moment I'm forced to ask every mapper to use a USB cable to sideload the base map for each farm. But as soon as I can specify a file for each form, every mapper will literally have only the exact base map tiles needed for their exact task areas. They will be using no more bandwidth/storage than necessary for their task area(s).

If this sounds useful for your farm mapping, let me know, I'd be delighted to set up an FMTM task with you to see if it is useful for your team.

1 Like