Refer to previous answer in multiple languages?

Is it possible to refer to a previous select-one answer using iText
for surveys that have multiple languages? Any help is greatly
appreciated.

The first question (Q1) asks a respondent to choose one of 10 options;
each choice has a label and an underlying value which I set to a
number. For a given option, the label changes with each language, but
the value remains the same. I use the underlying value later to write
constraints and logical statements for other questions, but that has
nothing to do with the problem at hand.

The label of the second question (Q2) incorporates the answer to the
first question.

This is simple when only one language is used because you can use the
command in the label of Q2. But when
working in multiple languages, that command returns a number, not the
text in the appropriate language.

Thanks!

··· ============= A simplified example in English and Spanish:

Q1.What is your favorite pet?

1. Dog
  2. Cat
    Q2. Is [ANSWER TO Q1] your favorite pet?
  3. Yes
  4. No
  5. Don't know

Q1. ¿Cuál es su mascota favorita?

1. Perro
  2. Gato
    Q2. Es [ANSWER TO Q1] a su mascota favorita?
  3. No
  4. No se

===============
Below is a simplified version of the code I am working on using the
above example. It comes from using the ODK build tool. What should I
put for [ANSWER TO Q1]?

What is your favorite pet? Dog Cat Is [ANSWER TO Q1] your favorite pet? Yes No Don't know ¿Cuál es su mascota favorita? Perro Gato ¿Es [ANSWER TO Q1] a su mascota favorita? Sí No No se

values don't (and likely will never) support multiple languages.

i suppose we can figure out a way to do multi-lingual outputs that
reference the label, but that's going to take some work. i've filed it
at http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=448 for now.

the least terrible solution i can think of right now is to make two
forms, one in english, one in spanish and merge the data after you are
done with collection...

yaw

··· On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 13:49, Luke wrote: > Is it possible to refer to a previous select-one answer using iText > for surveys that have multiple languages? Any help is greatly > appreciated. > > The first question (Q1) asks a respondent to choose one of 10 options; > each choice has a label and an underlying value which I set to a > number. For a given option, the label changes with each language, but > the value remains the same. I use the underlying value later to write > constraints and logical statements for other questions, but that has > nothing to do with the problem at hand. > > The label of the second question (Q2) incorporates the answer to the > first question. > > This is simple when only one language is used because you can use the > command in the label of Q2. But when > working in multiple languages, that command returns a number, not the > text in the appropriate language. > > Thanks! > > ============= > A simplified example in English and Spanish: > > Q1.What is your favorite pet? > 1. Dog > 2. Cat > Q2. Is [ANSWER TO Q1] your favorite pet? > 1. Yes > 2. No > 3. Don't know > > Q1. ¿Cuál es su mascota favorita? > 1. Perro > 2. Gato > Q2. Es [ANSWER TO Q1] a su mascota favorita? > 1. Sí > 2. No > 3. No se > > =============== > Below is a simplified version of the code I am working on using the > above example. It comes from using the ODK build tool. What should I > put for [ANSWER TO Q1]? > > > > > > > > > > > > What is your favorite pet? > > > > > > Dog > > > Cat > > > Is [ANSWER TO Q1] your favorite pet? > > > > > > Yes > > > No > > > Don't know > > > > > ¿Cuál es su mascota favorita? > > > > > > Perro > > > Gato > > > ¿Es [ANSWER TO Q1] a su mascota favorita? > > > > > > Sí > > > No > > > No se > > > > > > > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Thanks Yaw. It's too bad that values cannot support multiple
languages - we used ODK to do a survey in areas where three and I
expect more like this in the future.

Sorry for the delay, your response didn't appear in my google-groups
digest email for some reason.

··· On Nov 23, 9:33 pm, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > values don't (and likely will never) support multiple languages. > > i suppose we can figure out a way to do multi-lingual outputs that > reference the label, but that's going to take some work. i've filed it > athttp://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=448for now. > > the least terrible solution i can think of right now is to make two > forms, one in english, one in spanish and merge the data after you are > done with collection... > > yaw > > > > > > > > On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 13:49, Luke wrote: > > Is it possible to refer to a previous select-one answer using iText > > for surveys that have multiple languages? Any help is greatly > > appreciated. > > > The first question (Q1) asks a respondent to choose one of 10 options; > > each choice has a label and an underlying value which I set to a > > number. For a given option, the label changes with each language, but > > the value remains the same. I use the underlying value later to write > > constraints and logical statements for other questions, but that has > > nothing to do with the problem at hand. > > > The label of the second question (Q2) incorporates the answer to the > > first question. > > > This is simple when only one language is used because you can use the > > command in the label of Q2. But when > > working in multiple languages, that command returns a number, not the > > text in the appropriate language. > > > Thanks! > > > ============= > > A simplified example in English and Spanish: > > > Q1.What is your favorite pet? > > 1. Dog > > 2. Cat > > Q2. Is [ANSWER TO Q1] your favorite pet? > > 1. Yes > > 2. No > > 3. Don't know > > > Q1. ¿Cuál es su mascota favorita? > > 1. Perro > > 2. Gato > > Q2. Es [ANSWER TO Q1] a su mascota favorita? > > 1. Sí > > 2. No > > 3. No se > > > =============== > > Below is a simplified version of the code I am working on using the > > above example. It comes from using the ODK build tool. What should I > > put for [ANSWER TO Q1]? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > What is your favorite pet? > > > > > > > > > > > > Dog > > > > > > Cat > > > > > > Is [ANSWER TO Q1] your favorite pet? > > > > > > > > > > > > Yes > > > > > > No > > > > > > Don't know > > > > > > > > > > ¿Cuál es su mascota favorita? > > > > > > > > > > > > Perro > > > > > > Gato > > > > > > ¿Es [ANSWER TO Q1] a su mascota favorita? > > > > > > > > > > > > Sí > > > > > > No > > > > > > No se > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en