Relevance error in XML

Hi all,

I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’

Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks,
PW

PW, the syntax ${infomal} = ‘yes’ is correct, but it is a bit hard to
trouble shoot with the information given. Do you have a variable by the
name informal? If so, what type is it (select one, select multiple, etc)?

··· On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi all, > > I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble > with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question > appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the > language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I > verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an > error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of > question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’ > > Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult. > > Thanks, > PW > >

Well, it is just a typo: change this : ${infomal} = ‘yes’ to ${informal} =
‘yes’, because you have the variable informal not infomal

··· On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi all, > > I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble > with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question > appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the > language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I > verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an > error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of > question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’ > > Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult. > > Thanks, > PW > >

Thank you for the response. Yes, the question immediately before is named informal, it is a select one question type. I have attached both the XML and XLSForm files if they help.

Thanks again,
PW

Test-FieldVerification-PhaseTwo-export.xlsx (28.7 KB)

Test_FieldVerification_PhaseTwo.xml (22.7 KB)

··· On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 3:41:55 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems wrote: > PW, the syntax ${infomal} = ‘yes’ is correct, but it is a bit hard to trouble shoot with the information given. Do you have a variable by the name informal? If so, what type is it (select one, select multiple, etc)? > > > On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote:Hi all, > > > > I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’ > > > > Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult. > > > > Thanks, > > PW

Sorry for the typo, but that is not the main error. After fixing the type and trying to validate the XML form, I receive this error:

XForm Parse Error: Encountered a problem with display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���...
org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���...
org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���..

Thank you again for helping.

··· On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:57:09 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems wrote: > Well, it is just a typo: change this : ${infomal} = ‘yes’ to ${informal} = ‘yes’, because you have the variable informal not infomal > > On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote:Hi all, > > > > I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’ > > > > Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult. > > > > Thanks, > > PW

Hello, could we have the xlsform (or the section with error)? We can
examine the new error and let you know how to handle it.

··· -- Need ODK forms development or training? www.geoengsystems.com

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:51:16 PM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:57:09 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems wrote:

Well, it is just a typo: change this : ${infomal} = ‘yes’ to
${informal} = ‘yes’, because you have the variable informal not infomal

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com
wrote:Hi all,

I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble
with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question
appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the
language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I
verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an
error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of
question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’

Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks,

PW

Sorry for the typo, but that is not the main error. After fixing the type
and trying to validate the XML form, I receive this error:

XForm Parse Error: Encountered a problem with display condition for node
[/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't
understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���...
org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with
display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} =
���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point:
(��${informal} = ���...
org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with
display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} =
���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point:
(��${informal} = ���..

Thank you again for helping.

Thank you. Yes, I have attached the new XLSform.

Test-FieldVerification-PhaseTwo-export.xlsx (13.2 KB)

··· On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 12:48:12 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems wrote: > Hello, could we have the xlsform (or the section with error)? We can examine the new error and let you know how to handle it. > > > > -- > Need ODK forms development or training? > www.geoengsystems.com > On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:51:16 PM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote:On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:57:09 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems wrote: > > > Well, it is just a typo: change this : ${infomal} = ‘yes’ to ${informal} = ‘yes’, because you have the variable informal not infomal > > > > > > On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote:Hi all, > > > > > > > > > > > > I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having trouble with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of question appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have used the language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but when I verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I receive an error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of the group of question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’ > > > > > > > > > > > > Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult. > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > PW > > > > > > Sorry for the typo, but that is not the main error. After fixing the type and trying to validate the XML form, I receive this error: > > > > XForm Parse Error: Encountered a problem with display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���... > > org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���... > > org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���.. > > > > Thank you again for helping.

Here is the updated file, with the changes highlighted.

Hope you enjoy xlsform development!

Test-FieldVerification-PhaseTwo-export.xls (38 KB)

··· On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 9:49:38 PM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com wrote: > > On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 12:48:12 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems wrote: > > Hello, could we have the xlsform (or the section with error)? We can > examine the new error and let you know how to handle it. > > > > > > > > -- > > Need ODK forms development or training? > > www.geoengsystems.com > > On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:51:16 PM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com > wrote:On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:57:09 AM UTC-5, Geoeng Systems > wrote: > > > > > Well, it is just a typo: change this : ${infomal} = ‘yes’ to > ${informal} = ‘yes’, because you have the variable informal not infomal > > > > > > > > > > On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+3, pwel...@gmail.com > wrote:Hi all, > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I am new to ODK and trying to create my first form. I am having > trouble with the Relevance option. I would like to make an entire group of > question appear only if "yes" was selected in the previous question. I have > used the language here (http://xlsform.org/#relevant) in ODK Build, but > when I verify the XML file or try to upload the form to Aggregate, I > receive an error. Currently, this is what I have in the Relevance box of > the group of question: ${infomal} = ‘yes’ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Can anyone help me? I know this shouldn't be too difficult. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > > > > > PW > > > > > > > > > > > > Sorry for the typo, but that is not the main error. After fixing the > type and trying to validate the XML form, I receive this error: > > > > > > > > XForm Parse Error: Encountered a problem with display condition for node > [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = ���yes���), Couldn't > understand the expression starting at this point: (��${informal} = ���... > > > > org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with > display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = > ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: > (��${informal} = ���... > > > > org.javarosa.xform.parse.XFormParseException: Encountered a problem with > display condition for node [/data/InformalDesc] at line: (${informal} = > ���yes���), Couldn't understand the expression starting at this point: > (��${informal} = ���.. > > > > > > > > Thank you again for helping. > > Thank you. Yes, I have attached the new XLSform.