Relevant not working

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

I am designing a form to survey trees for roosting bat.
I am trying to exclude several questions depending on the answer of some preceding questions but I can't seem to get it to work. For example, I want to exclude questions relating to measuring internal features of potential roost features (PRFs) when I am not able to access the PRF in question (I.e. when I have not got ladders). I have approached this by having a select_one yes or no question asking can I access the PRF. Then using the relevant column with (selected$internal_external, 'Yes') within the associated group of questions but it does not seem to be effective. The question just appears regardless of the answers.

Likewise, if bats are present I want to include a series of relevant questions I.e species present, location of the bat(s) and whether the bat(s) are awake. But this also does not work.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
I am using ODK Collect on android -Samsung S9+

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

I have searched the forum and change my original approach of using $internal_external,'Yes' which also did not work. However, I thought it may also be due to the repeat group but I am not really sure.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

I have attached a working copy of the form any help would be much appreciated, thank in advance for any effort taken

Cheers PRF_GROUND_BASED_PL_v020.xlsx (48.0 KB)

I took a quick look at the form and it looks like you have a field-list on line 40. I bet that's the problem. What happens if you remove that appearance?

Do not include a question that depends on a previous answer in the same field list as the previous question it depends on.

Relevance and calculation values are determined when the screen advances, which does not happen between questions that are grouped on the same page. Therefore, including a question and its dependent together in a field list will not work as expected.

Source: https://docs.opendatakit.org/form-question-types/#grouping-multiple-widgets-on-the-same-screen

Thanks yanokwa.

I have tried removing the field
-list throughout but it still does not do as intended

I am a bit stuck on this one

Update file is attached

PRF_GROUND_BASED_PL_v020.xlsx (48.8 KB)

There was a ' in the relevant column that was messing up the relevancy.
I tested it and now it works.

PRF_GROUND_BASED_PL_v020.xlsx (49.3 KB)

1 Like

Thank you that great

1 Like