Repeat questions over only certain household members

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary diversity
questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster of all
children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some of
those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions and
the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only certain
children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat (cell
highlighted red). Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kate

child dietary diversity indexed repeat problem.xlsx (10.5 KB)

Kate

Find attached form. Not complete but it works. You need change the field
for the name that will be recalled

HTH

demo_index_repeat.xls (58 KB)

··· On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:49:07 AM UTC+2, Kate Schneider wrote: > > Hi all, > > I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary diversity > questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster of all > children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some of > those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions and > the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only certain > children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat (cell > highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! > > Thanks, > Kate >

I've made some progress resolving this issue, but I've still got some
errors. I'm trying to get a roster of all children under 2 and calculate
their age in months and then use that later to collect dietary diversity
data for only children 6-23 months. Can anyone help me spot the problems
here?
Here's is the xlsform
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITee-8roazbTUKhqjJX0vIfR75XX2KbbhoggcyHZ2EM/edit?usp=sharing.

Thanks!
-Kate

··· On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 7:49:07 PM UTC-4, Kate Schneider wrote: > > Hi all, > > I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary diversity > questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster of all > children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some of > those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions and > the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only certain > children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat (cell > highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! > > Thanks, > Kate >

Thanks so much Shylock, this example is really helpful, I think I get it
but will post again if it's still not working properly.

Really appreciate the help!
-Kate

··· On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 2:56:50 AM UTC-4, Shylock Muyengwa wrote: > > Kate > > Find attached form. Not complete but it works. You need change the field > for the name that will be recalled > > > HTH > > On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:49:07 AM UTC+2, Kate Schneider wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary diversity >> questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster of all >> children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some of >> those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions and >> the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only certain >> children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat (cell >> highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! >> >> Thanks, >> Kate >> >

Hi Shylock,

Your form is interressant but hh_member_name do not change in the repeat
and remains blocked in the 1st name!

Dan

··· Le lundi 10 avril 2017 06:56:50 UTC, Shylock Muyengwa a écrit : > > Kate > > Find attached form. Not complete but it works. You need change the field > for the name that will be recalled > > > HTH > > On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:49:07 AM UTC+2, Kate Schneider wrote: >> >> Hi all, >> >> I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary diversity >> questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster of all >> children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some of >> those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions and >> the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only certain >> children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat (cell >> highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! >> >> Thanks, >> Kate >> >

Hi Kate,

The Google Sheets link seems to have merged cells. Can you instead
attach a fully working example? Anything that makes troubleshooting
easier will increase your chances of getting help!

It might be helpful to also look at how to do conditional counting on
repeats. It's a similar strategy to what you might want to use in your
form. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/opendatakit/C24HR_zgwzM/bA3YtWV_BgAJ
has more info.

Thanks,

Yaw

conditional_count.xlsx (10.8 KB)

··· On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Daniel Couret wrote: > Hi Shylock, > > Your form is interressant but hh_member_name do not change in the repeat and > remains blocked in the 1st name! > > > Dan > > > > Le lundi 10 avril 2017 06:56:50 UTC, Shylock Muyengwa a écrit : >> >> Kate >> >> Find attached form. Not complete but it works. You need change the field >> for the name that will be recalled >> >> >> HTH >> >> On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:49:07 AM UTC+2, Kate Schneider wrote: >>> >>> Hi all, >>> >>> I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary diversity >>> questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster of all >>> children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some of >>> those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions and >>> the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only certain >>> children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat (cell >>> highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Kate > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Update: I have simplified this a bit but also figured out exactly what is
really complicated about the situation. Here's what I need to do and an
updated form is attached:

1. I'm collecting name, age, gender and generating a child ID inside of a
    repeat group for all children under 2
  2. Later in the survey, I need to ask about dietary diversity for each
    child between 6 and 23 months
  3. I need the dietary diversity data to be linked to the child ID from the
    earlier repeat for analysis and also so that I can pull the name of each
    child from above into the question.

All hints and help are most appreciated!
-Kate

conditional repeat.xlsx (10.6 KB)

··· On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 2:36:02 PM UTC-4, Kate Schneider wrote: > > Oops! Thanks Yaw! Attached is an excel sheet instead. Thanks for the help > :) > > On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 10:11:14 AM UTC-4, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> >> Hi Kate, >> >> The Google Sheets link seems to have merged cells. Can you instead >> attach a fully working example? Anything that makes troubleshooting >> easier will increase your chances of getting help! >> >> It might be helpful to also look at how to do conditional counting on >> repeats. It's a similar strategy to what you might want to use in your >> form. >> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/opendatakit/C24HR_zgwzM/bA3YtWV_BgAJ >> has more info. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Yaw >> >> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Daniel Couret wrote: >> > Hi Shylock, >> > >> > Your form is interressant but hh_member_name do not change in the >> repeat and >> > remains blocked in the 1st name! >> > >> > >> > Dan >> > >> > >> > >> > Le lundi 10 avril 2017 06:56:50 UTC, Shylock Muyengwa a écrit : >> >> >> >> Kate >> >> >> >> Find attached form. Not complete but it works. You need change the >> field >> >> for the name that will be recalled >> >> >> >> >> >> HTH >> >> >> >> On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:49:07 AM UTC+2, Kate Schneider wrote: >> >>> >> >>> Hi all, >> >>> >> >>> I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary >> diversity >> >>> questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster >> of all >> >>> children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some >> of >> >>> those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions >> and >> >>> the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only >> certain >> >>> children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat >> (cell >> >>> highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! >> >>> >> >>> Thanks, >> >>> Kate >> > >> > -- >> > -- >> > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> > >> > --- >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >> Groups >> > "ODK Community" group. >> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >> an >> > email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> >

Hi Kate,

Attached is a working form that implements the technique you describe.
I've included a notes column that explains why I did things a
particular way. Can you try it out and see if it works for you?

Thanks,

Yaw

conditional_repeat.xlsx (12.3 KB)

··· On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Kate Schneider wrote: > Update: I have simplified this a bit but also figured out exactly what is > really complicated about the situation. Here's what I need to do and an > updated form is attached: > > 1. I'm collecting name, age, gender and generating a child ID inside of a > repeat group for all children under 2 > 2. Later in the survey, I need to ask about dietary diversity for each child > between 6 and 23 months > 3. I need the dietary diversity data to be linked to the child ID from the > earlier repeat for analysis and also so that I can pull the name of each > child from above into the question. > > All hints and help are most appreciated! > -Kate > > > On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 2:36:02 PM UTC-4, Kate Schneider wrote: >> >> Oops! Thanks Yaw! Attached is an excel sheet instead. Thanks for the help >> :) >> >> On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 10:11:14 AM UTC-4, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >>> >>> Hi Kate, >>> >>> The Google Sheets link seems to have merged cells. Can you instead >>> attach a fully working example? Anything that makes troubleshooting >>> easier will increase your chances of getting help! >>> >>> It might be helpful to also look at how to do conditional counting on >>> repeats. It's a similar strategy to what you might want to use in your >>> form. >>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/opendatakit/C24HR_zgwzM/bA3YtWV_BgAJ >>> has more info. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Yaw >>> >>> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Daniel Couret wrote: >>> > Hi Shylock, >>> > >>> > Your form is interressant but hh_member_name do not change in the >>> > repeat and >>> > remains blocked in the 1st name! >>> > >>> > >>> > Dan >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > Le lundi 10 avril 2017 06:56:50 UTC, Shylock Muyengwa a écrit : >>> >> >>> >> Kate >>> >> >>> >> Find attached form. Not complete but it works. You need change the >>> >> field >>> >> for the name that will be recalled >>> >> >>> >> >>> >> HTH >>> >> >>> >> On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:49:07 AM UTC+2, Kate Schneider wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>> Hi all, >>> >>> >>> >>> I'm trying to figure out how to ask a group of child dietary >>> >>> diversity >>> >>> questions for all children between 6 and 23 months. I have a roster >>> >>> of all >>> >>> children under 5 but only want to as about dietary diversity for some >>> >>> of >>> >>> those kids. Attached is is my xlsform with the child roster questions >>> >>> and >>> >>> the later questions where I want to refer back and ask about only >>> >>> certain >>> >>> children. I can't figure out how to construct the indexed-repeat >>> >>> (cell >>> >>> highlighted red). Any help much appreciated! >>> >>> >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Kate >>> > >>> > -- >>> > -- >>> > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> > >>> > --- >>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> > Groups >>> > "ODK Community" group. >>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> > an >>> > email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Yaw, i see your attached file works best on integer input.
In my case its a select one( the 2 values are individual and group)
when the user select individual it repeat once and end but
when the user select group then it repeats multiple times

Hi everyone. I am Joshua Ayanlakin.
I have followed the thread but my own challenge has not been resolved and I need support. I pre-loaded data of a baseline for follow-up (using search and pulldata) and I noticed that in some households, there could be more than a child. So I want to know how to repeat the children in that same household and ask the follow-up questions having preloaded their response during the baseline. My focus is on section 2. Thank you.
I attached the xls here.Tracking_rev.xlsx (120.9 KB)