Repeat same choices for different questionn in odk

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
i need to repeat same choices for different questionn in odk xls form but the number of choices is more than 28000 choice (asking about home address and work address at city level)
2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
tablet android
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
i tried repeat group but i receive a message (unexpected token <in json at position 0

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
i try repeat group

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @nedhal

If I understand your issue correctly, you can use different select questions where the choices are the same.

e.g.
in your survey sheet you will have

type name
select_one_external options_list select_q_1
select_one_external options_list select_q_2
select_one_external options_list select_q_3

Also, for such a large number of options, it is better to use external choices.
So in your external_choices sheet, you will have

list_name name label::English
options_list item_1 Item One
options_list item_2 Item Two
options_list item_3 Item Three

You can use filtered lists if you have select questions that are dependent ( cascading selects ), this will also improve the performance since all option items don't have to be loaded.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

hi Yassem

many thanks for your reply ...but it did not work when i use select_one_external option ...
i will be grateful if you have an example sheet for this issue .

regards

Hi @nedhal

Here is a working example that has nine select_one_external questions, each with the same list from the external_choices sheet. The list has more than 20k option items.

You can change the choice filter option to your liking.

Let me know how it goes.

thanks a lot ..its work