Retrieve data when blank form is deleted

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I accidently deleted a blank form, within which I had already had a survey filled out. But right now I cannot get access to that survey, because the blank file is deleted. The error says: Unable to send this form because the corresponding blank form is not present or was deleted'. Is there a way to reverse this?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
I use ODK on an android tablet

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Re-download the same blank form, but that did not work.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Delete the form without uploading the data first.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @skruid
welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself here!

regarding your question, you should be able to edit/send such filled forms if you add the corresponding form again. The form must have the same formId and version like the one you have deleted. Are you sure those values are equal?

Hi @Grzesiek2010

Thank you for your response!
I did add the corresponding form again, but I am afraid that it is a new version. Where can I see whether the formId and version match? I can find the form ID on the tablet, but not in ODK build.

If I don't have that version anymore, is it still possible to retrieve the data?

1 Like

You can try to open your instances.db which is on your sdcard in odk/metadata and check what jrFormId and jrVersion was used. To do that you need a tool like https://sqlitebrowser.org/ in my case it looks like:

if you are not able to do that please share your that file (instances.db) and I'll check it.

1 Like

I am sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. Do I need to download one of the tools on the website you sent me in order to open my 'instances.db'?

Yes then if you open instances.db file you will see something like in my screenshot. There are two columns you are interested in jrFormId and jrVersion. you need to find any of your saved forms on the list and check what id and version they used.

Okay. I downloaded the version for a mac. How can I upload the forms and data from ODK to this tool?

1 Like

(I don't have this offline, only in the ODK build program)

But you have the device where those unsent forms are?

Yes, they are on a tablet

Ok so the file I'm taking about is on the sdcard in /odk/metadata just plug in your device via usb copy that file to your computer and open with the tool you downloaded.

It worked! Thank you very much for your help! :slight_smile: