Retroactively changing the required status of a question, changing existing form without losing data in google drive

What is the problem? Please be detailed.

Hi everyone! I accidentally made a note required and now none of my forms will finalize or upload because it keeps saying its a required question.

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?

ODK v1.15.0

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

I made a note a required question and now it won't let me finalize the surveys and upload. When I went to update the form it then told me that the existing form has been deleted.

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I tried to replace the google drive xlsm file with a file with the same name and I tried to you the update version function both were not fruitful.
Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

PLEASE HELP :slight_smile:

Hi @Amelia_Foley

Did you properly define that version number in your xls form? See this https://docs.opendatakit.org/form-update/

If you did that properly you should be able to update that.

If not, another solution will be to check if submissions are still in the devices, ie submissions were not deleted after send. If available in all devices, you can delete the form, after changing the validation, then resubmit from odk collect.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi,

I was able to upload a new version of my form (v 20200923) (with the same file name) and get the updated form on my device. However, when I open the form that I created with the old verison (v 20200901) and then saved because I wasn't able to finalize due to the required note, I see the note is still required and I can't finalize. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Device: Android Google Pixel 1XL