Returning only selected values from a multiple_choice question

I've got a list of animals, and I want people to rank them based on palatability (i.e., preferred taste, texture, smell). But first, I want respondents to select - from the available list - the meat they have consumed.

I thus want to design a form where palatability rank can only be collected for the animals that respondents selected to have consumed. I understand how to do this for a single_choice question using (${meat_type} = 'yes') in the response, but I am struggling with replicating this for multiple-choice questions, which is ideal for this survey. For clarity, I want the selection of the animals consumed to be completed before progressing to the next stage: integer field of ONLY the previously selected animals.

Here are screenshots of what I am hoping to achieve. A. List of animals with a multiple-selection option. B. List of only the selected options with integer fields for their ranks (not achieved yet).

Thanks for your support!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for adding your profile picture. It helps build community! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread.

What about using the rank widget?

Here is a working example: rank_selection.xlsx (10.0 KB)

If you want to ask question(s) for each selection you can follow the example in this post:

1 Like

@danbjoseph The looped example worked. Thank you! But there seem to be two weird problems with my data: a) one of the selected animals does not appear (i.e., selected animals-1); b) the palatability scores for the selected animals also do not appear. Here is my form, if helpful. Thanks.
palatability - Copy.xlsx (20.3 KB)

thank you!

Note that:

• table-list appearance only works on a group (I don't think it works on a repeat like you have in your form)
  • minimal appearance only works on select_one or select_multiple (not on integer like you have in your form)

But otherwise your form seems to be working as expected. I was not able to replicate a problem with the form. Are you filling out the form on the web in Enketo, or in Collect, or both?

1 Like