Select_multiple results not appearing

I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. The
values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the
resultant csv file.

Any idea what may be happening?

Further on this....

If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as expected.

It is within a repeat loop, on a page by itself

Any ideas?

··· On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: > > I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. The > values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the > resultant csv file. > > > Any idea what may be happening? >

I have been playing with this all day. I attach a reduced version of the
xls.

The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination with
select_multiple

The select_one question behaves as expected
The select_multiple does not return a result. If however, I remove the
choice-filer, it works as expected.

A bug?

Thanks

Steve

select_multiple_issue.xls (46 KB)

··· On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: > > Further on this.... > > > If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as expected. > > It is within a repeat loop, on a page by itself > > Any ideas? > > > On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >> >> I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. The >> values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the >> resultant csv file. >> >> >> Any idea what may be happening? >> >

Hi

You have a species 0 for indeterminate . This 0 not included in the species
list

Regards

··· On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, steve wrote:

xls.

The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination with
select_multiple

A bug?

Thanks

Steve

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote:

Further on this....

If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as expected.

Any ideas?

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote:

I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. The
values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the
resultant csv file.

--
--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks

That was deliberate, I would not have expected it to cause issues, perhaps
I am picturing it wrong but I saw the species attribute of the breeds
choice as distinct from the breeds list.

Anyway, I made a species of 0 - and the form still does not capture the
choice,

Steve

··· On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 6:01:56 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: > > Hi > > You have a species 0 for indeterminate . This 0 not included in the > species list > > Regards > > On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, steve <skem...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> I have been playing with this all day. I attach a reduced version of the >> xls. >> >> The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination >> with select_multiple >> >> The select_one question behaves as expected >> The select_multiple does not return a result. If however, I remove the >> choice-filer, it works as expected. >> >> >> A bug? >> >> >> Thanks >> >> >> Steve >> >> >> >> On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>> >>> Further on this.... >>> >>> >>> If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as >>> expected. >>> >>> It is within a repeat loop, on a page by itself >>> >>> Any ideas? >>> >>> >>> On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>> >>>> I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. >>>> The values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the >>>> resultant csv file. >>>> >>>> >>>> Any idea what may be happening? >>>> >>> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > >

Hi

The issue is maybe the process of mapping the field name to the column
header in the server csv file. The guidelines (
https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/) recommend field names
should

1. be short (ideally < 30 characters).
  2. must be unique within their enclosing group within the form (this is
    required by Xml and Javarosa).
  3. cannot contain any spaces.
  4. should contain only alphanumeric characters and the characters '_'
    and '-'.
  5. should start with a letter.
  6. should all consistently follow either the camel-case convention
    (e.g., thisFormField) with leading capitals denoting word breaks within
    the field name, or use either the '_' or '-' characters to mark word
    breaks (e.g., this-form-field).
  7. should not have two or more fields that are distinguished only by
    either their capitalization, use of dashes, or use of underscores. E.g., a
    form that contains two or more of these field names will be confusing:
    thisFormField, this-form-field, thisformfield or this_formField.

Should be quick to make a quick change the xlsform to test to see if this
really is the problem

Regards

··· On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 1:44 PM, steve wrote:

Thanks

That was deliberate, I would not have expected it to cause issues, perhaps
I am picturing it wrong but I saw the species attribute of the breeds
choice as distinct from the breeds list.

Anyway, I made a species of 0 - and the form still does not capture the
choice,

Steve

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 6:01:56 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote:

Hi

You have a species 0 for indeterminate . This 0 not included in the
species list

Regards

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, steve skem...@gmail.com wrote:

xls.

The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination
with select_multiple

A bug?

Thanks

Steve

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote:

Further on this....

If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as
expected.

Any ideas?

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote:

I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone.
The values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the
resultant csv file.

--
--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks

I tried changing names to meet all those criteria - still not working

Is there any example out there of a select_multiple working with a
choice_filter?

Steve

··· On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 10:11:50 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: > > Hi > > The issue is maybe the process of mapping the field name to the column > header in the server csv file. The guidelines ( > https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/) recommend field > names should > > > 1. be short (ideally < 30 characters). > 2. must be unique within their enclosing group within the form (this > is required by Xml and Javarosa). > 3. cannot contain any spaces. > 4. should contain only alphanumeric characters and the characters '_' > and '-'. > 5. should start with a letter. > 6. should all consistently follow either the camel-case convention > (e.g., thisFormField) with leading capitals denoting word breaks > within the field name, or use either the '_' or '-' characters to mark > word breaks (e.g., this-form-field). > 7. should not have two or more fields that are distinguished only by > either their capitalization, use of dashes, or use of underscores. E.g., a > form that contains two or more of these field names will be confusing: > thisFormField, this-form-field, thisformfield or this_formField. > > Should be quick to make a quick change the xlsform to test to see if this > really is the problem > > Regards > > On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 1:44 PM, steve <skem...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Thanks >> >> >> That was deliberate, I would not have expected it to cause issues, >> perhaps I am picturing it wrong but I saw the species attribute of the >> breeds choice as distinct from the breeds list. >> >> Anyway, I made a species of 0 - and the form still does not capture the >> choice, >> >> >> Steve >> >> On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 6:01:56 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: >>> >>> Hi >>> >>> You have a species 0 for indeterminate . This 0 not included in the >>> species list >>> >>> Regards >>> >>> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, steve wrote: >>> >>>> I have been playing with this all day. I attach a reduced version of >>>> the xls. >>>> >>>> The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination >>>> with select_multiple >>>> >>>> The select_one question behaves as expected >>>> The select_multiple does not return a result. If however, I remove the >>>> choice-filer, it works as expected. >>>> >>>> >>>> A bug? >>>> >>>> >>>> Thanks >>>> >>>> >>>> Steve >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Further on this.... >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as >>>>> expected. >>>>> >>>>> It is within a repeat loop, on a page by itself >>>>> >>>>> Any ideas? >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. >>>>>> The values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the >>>>>> resultant csv file. >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Any idea what may be happening? >>>>>> >>>>> -- >>>> -- >>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>> >>>> --- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>> >>> >>> >

Steve -- I made a few minor changes (see attached), and it works as
expected. The use of the 0 - intermediate seemed to be causing an error.
You need to have a discrete 'intermediate' or each animal type for the
choice filter to reference. I've also attached the exported .csv of the
data which shows the select multiple being chosen.

~lb

select_multiple_issue.xls (30.5 KB)

demo_results.csv (147 Bytes)

select_multiple_issue.xml (11.4 KB)

··· On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 3:47:12 PM UTC-4, steve wrote: > > Thanks > > > I tried changing names to meet all those criteria - still not working > > Is there any example out there of a select_multiple working with a > choice_filter? > > > Steve > > On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 10:11:50 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: >> >> Hi >> >> The issue is maybe the process of mapping the field name to the column >> header in the server csv file. The guidelines ( >> https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/) recommend field >> names should >> >> >> 1. be short (ideally < 30 characters). >> 2. must be unique within their enclosing group within the form (this >> is required by Xml and Javarosa). >> 3. cannot contain any spaces. >> 4. should contain only alphanumeric characters and the characters '_' >> and '-'. >> 5. should start with a letter. >> 6. should all consistently follow either the camel-case convention >> (e.g., thisFormField) with leading capitals denoting word breaks >> within the field name, or use either the '_' or '-' characters to >> mark word breaks (e.g., this-form-field). >> 7. should not have two or more fields that are distinguished only by >> either their capitalization, use of dashes, or use of underscores. E.g., a >> form that contains two or more of these field names will be confusing: >> thisFormField, this-form-field, thisformfield or this_formField. >> >> Should be quick to make a quick change the xlsform to test to see if this >> really is the problem >> >> Regards >> >> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 1:44 PM, steve wrote: >> >>> Thanks >>> >>> >>> That was deliberate, I would not have expected it to cause issues, >>> perhaps I am picturing it wrong but I saw the species attribute of the >>> breeds choice as distinct from the breeds list. >>> >>> Anyway, I made a species of 0 - and the form still does not capture the >>> choice, >>> >>> >>> Steve >>> >>> On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 6:01:56 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi >>>> >>>> You have a species 0 for indeterminate . This 0 not included in the >>>> species list >>>> >>>> Regards >>>> >>>> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, steve wrote: >>>> >>>>> I have been playing with this all day. I attach a reduced version of >>>>> the xls. >>>>> >>>>> The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination >>>>> with select_multiple >>>>> >>>>> The select_one question behaves as expected >>>>> The select_multiple does not return a result. If however, I remove the >>>>> choice-filer, it works as expected. >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> A bug? >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Thanks >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> Steve >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> Further on this.... >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as >>>>>> expected. >>>>>> >>>>>> It is within a repeat loop, on a page by itself >>>>>> >>>>>> Any ideas? >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the phone. >>>>>>> The values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on the >>>>>>> resultant csv file. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Any idea what may be happening? >>>>>>> >>>>>> -- >>>>> -- >>>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>>> >>>>> --- >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>

Wonderful, thanks very much.

I confess that I don't really understand why it is necessary, but hey! it
works.

Thanks

Steve

··· On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 4:32:25 PM UTC+3, Lloyd Owen Banwart wrote: > > Steve -- I made a few minor changes (see attached), and it works as > expected. The use of the 0 - intermediate seemed to be causing an error. > You need to have a discrete 'intermediate' or each animal type for the > choice filter to reference. I've also attached the exported .csv of the > data which shows the select multiple being chosen. > > ~lb > > On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 3:47:12 PM UTC-4, steve wrote: >> >> Thanks >> >> >> I tried changing names to meet all those criteria - still not working >> >> Is there any example out there of a select_multiple working with a >> choice_filter? >> >> >> Steve >> >> On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 10:11:50 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: >>> >>> Hi >>> >>> The issue is maybe the process of mapping the field name to the column >>> header in the server csv file. The guidelines ( >>> https://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/guidelines/) recommend field >>> names should >>> >>> >>> 1. be short (ideally < 30 characters). >>> 2. must be unique within their enclosing group within the form (this >>> is required by Xml and Javarosa). >>> 3. cannot contain any spaces. >>> 4. should contain only alphanumeric characters and the characters '_' >>> and '-'. >>> 5. should start with a letter. >>> 6. should all consistently follow either the camel-case convention >>> (e.g., thisFormField) with leading capitals denoting word breaks >>> within the field name, or use either the '_' or '-' characters to >>> mark word breaks (e.g., this-form-field). >>> 7. should not have two or more fields that are distinguished only by >>> either their capitalization, use of dashes, or use of underscores. E.g., a >>> form that contains two or more of these field names will be confusing: >>> thisFormField, this-form-field, thisformfield or this_formField. >>> >>> Should be quick to make a quick change the xlsform to test to see if >>> this really is the problem >>> >>> Regards >>> >>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 1:44 PM, steve wrote: >>> >>>> Thanks >>>> >>>> >>>> That was deliberate, I would not have expected it to cause issues, >>>> perhaps I am picturing it wrong but I saw the species attribute of the >>>> breeds choice as distinct from the breeds list. >>>> >>>> Anyway, I made a species of 0 - and the form still does not capture the >>>> choice, >>>> >>>> >>>> Steve >>>> >>>> On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 6:01:56 PM UTC+3, Ian Lawrence wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Hi >>>>> >>>>> You have a species 0 for indeterminate . This 0 not included in the >>>>> species list >>>>> >>>>> Regards >>>>> >>>>> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, steve wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> I have been playing with this all day. I attach a reduced version of >>>>>> the xls. >>>>>> >>>>>> The problem appears to be related to the choice-filter in combination >>>>>> with select_multiple >>>>>> >>>>>> The select_one question behaves as expected >>>>>> The select_multiple does not return a result. If however, I remove >>>>>> the choice-filer, it works as expected. >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> A bug? >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Thanks >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Steve >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Further on this.... >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> If I change to select_one with nothing else changed, it works as >>>>>>> expected. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> It is within a repeat loop, on a page by itself >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Any ideas? >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 10:32:31 PM UTC+3, steve wrote: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> I have a select_multiple that appears to work normally on the >>>>>>>> phone. The values it chooses are numerical. However they do not appear on >>>>>>>> the resultant csv file. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Any idea what may be happening? >>>>>>>> >>>>>>> -- >>>>>> -- >>>>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>>>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>>>> >>>>>> --- >>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, >>>>>> send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>

I'm trying to populate select_multiple choices (in Q2) based on the response to Q1 (a select_one field).

I want to have 2 options available regardless of answer to Q1 and 2 that only appear given a specific value for Q1.

At the moment I can't get choices to appear at all for a select_mulitple with a choice_filter applied. Filter works fine if I make Q2 a select_one, but I'd like to keep it multiple if possible.

I downloaded the example of the species and breeds, but the select_multiple choices don't show up for me there either.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi @ssprague. If it works with select_one, but it doesn't work select_multiple, then it's probably a bug. Can you confirm that it works with select_one? If so, can you also attach a test form to your reply so we can use that to reproduce the problem?