Selecting a map feature to collect data about

Ah yes, I see. So there's a hierarchical aspect. In an ideal world, I think this would be entity-based and there'd be two entities: area/sampling session and then cells. You could select an area, fill out some information about it and then fill out information about each of its cells.

Do you need to access the general information (e.g. weather) when you're collecting data about a cell? Can the first level of the hierarchy be defined ahead of time? For example, if the first level represents an "area", what I'd do is have two forms. The first form would have a map with features that represent areas. You could tap an area and fill out the metadata you mentioned (visit date, weather, etc). Then after you did that once for the current area, you'd exit out of that form and go into the cell form. You'd see a map with cells, tap a cell and fill out only data specific to that cell. You wouldn't have to specify anything about the area because that would be part of the properties for each cell. You'd then link the area data to each cell in analysis. How does that sound?