Sequential number

I want a sequential number in my instance_name
1 for the first submission
2 for the second ect

This is currently not possible because there is no way to track data across multiple submissions.

We could add this feature, but it'd be good to understand why you need sequential numbering. What high-level problem are you trying to solve?

I want to know in what order the interviewer has to investigate the farms.
Since I take GPS coordinates, I would also like to have the waypoint
which is nothing but a sequential number.
The worry is that I can not use 'repeat' because I want a submission
for each farm.

sorry!!!

I want to know in what order the interviewer has to investigate the farms.

Since I take GPS coordinates, I would also like to have the waypoint which
is nothing but a sequential number.

The worry is that I can not use 'repeat' because I want a submission for
each farm.

One easy way to track which came order the enumerator investigated the farms is to include start/end time as your metadata. http://xlsform.org/#metadata

You could also ask the enumerator to enter the number and include that in the instance_name. The flaw with this approach is that it requires the enumerator to remember what number came before.

Thank you that is relevant what you say. That's what I did, but as you say,
it needs the interviewer's memory. So that does not satisfy us. What we
really want is something automatic.

Hi @cheikh,

I deal with this issue by assigning a number to each interviewee before the survey starts and each enumerator receives a printed list of names he has to interview. The enumerator has to enter this number at the start of the interview then he ticks on the corresponding name in the paper list to eliminate it from the todo list.

Regards.

Thank you Souirji_Abdelghani
http://forum.getodk.org/u/souirji_abdelghani for your suggestion.
Just that we are not yet in the collection phase but in the cartographic
phase. Because of that, we do not have the farms list.

:

Hi @cheikh

If you are taking the GPS location during the preliminary mapping survey with ODK collect, if you include the start and end time, as suggested by @yanokwa, you'll have all a csv file with the GPS location and the start/end time. You can then add a serial number column that follows the chronological order.

I suppose that you shall select your random sample afterwards and this list shall be useful for that.

1 Like

I think @Souirji_Abdelghani's suggestion of adding the number in a processing pass based on start or end time is the best approach.

Another idea you could consider is using an external app. Your form would include a question with a button to launch the app. The app would keep track of a count and increment by 1 each time it's used. See this thread for more on what that would look like. @tomsmyth, if you've built this, would you be willing to share it?

Haven't built it yet but still planning to. Will let you know!

1 Like