Server cannot be reached today

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
Today we tried to log into our ODK aggregate servers (we have tried 5 different server addresses) and all bring the error message "This site can't be reached".

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
ODK Collect and ODK Aggregate v1.0.
MacBook Air, Chrome, MacOS Sierra (10.12.6)

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Tried reaching study servers for 5 different studies (http://catchstudy.appspot.com and 4 others) and none connect.

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Refresh page, closing chrome, reconnect to wifi, tried on PC laptop with different study server

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

Hurrah! All of the servers that were previously unreachable have since become reachable as of 10 minutes ago.

If anyone has insight as to why they were temporarily unavailable, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi All,

The issue has returned and the servers are again not reachable. Any insight about what might be causing this issue? I had a third person confirm the issue on their system.

Is anyone else dealing with a similar issue?

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
We have tried to log into multiple ODK aggregate servers, but none are working. For ODK Aggregate, we get an error stating "This site can't be reached" in Chrome and an error stating "Safari Can't Connect to the Server" for Safari. For ODK Briefcase, a window appears titled "Invalid Server URL". This issue also occurred yesterday.

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
ODK Briefcase (v1.7.0) and ODK Aggregate (v1.0)
Macbook Pro, MacOS Sierra (10.12.6)

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Tried reaching our server at a URL similar to http://[study_name].appspot.com

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Restarting web browsers and computer, using multiple browsers (Chrome, Safari), using a PC instead of a Mac, trying multiple study servers

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

Looks like @ebegnel and @Anjuli_Wagner are running into the same problem. @Anjuli_Wagner I can reach your server just fine right now.

I'm guessing there's an AppEngine outage in some locale. Where are you each physically accessing the servers from?

Hello Helene,

Thanks so much for the assistance.

4 of us that have experienced the same issue are at 9th and Jefferson Building (NJB) in the Harborview hospital area.

Thanks!
Anjuli

Oh, I expected non-US! Can you access it right now or is it still failing? Unfortunately I don't think there's much we can do since it's a hosting issue not an ODK issue. I'm not seeing any outages listed here but will keep investigating.

Hi Helene,

Thanks again for the super fast reply!

I tried again just now and no luck on the servers.

Thank you also for the link to the cloud status dashboard; much appreciated!

Let us know if you happen to find anything else out, but otherwise we will keep trying to access.

Thank you!
A

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/catchstudy.appspot.com says it's up.

The problem most certainly has to be with Harborview. For example, I bet you can disable WiFi on your phone and open up the server in your phone's web browser and it'll work.

1 Like

Hi all,

We spoke with someone from UW IT services this morning and it appears to be an issue with the network here at Harborview (as @yanokwa suggests). They are currently investigating the issue, but in the interim we should be able to access the servers from home or on the UW campus.

I'm not sure if there is anything anyone other than IT services can do, but please let us know if you have any additional thoughts or suggestions!

Thank you,
Emily

1 Like