Shobhit Agarwal TSC Application - 2017-11-27

Name
Shobhit Agarwal (@Shobhit_Agarwal)

Organization
Tonbo Imaging

What contributions (e.g., issue triage, tech support, documentation, bug fixes) have you made to the ODK community?
I have tried my hands on bug fixes, code refactoring, issue reporting and code reviewing(sometimes) for the collect project. I intent to start with automated testing soon.

How do you believe your contributions have benefited ODK?
I believe that my contributions have added some value to the ODK - Collect project as well as to the community and helped to make lives of people better

What do you believe the top priorities for ODK are?
To provide an easy, powerful, reliable and complete solution for mobile data collection

How will you help the ODK community accomplish those priorities?
I have a keen interest in android development and am willing to continue contributing to ODK - Collect to the make the community and the ODK better

How many hours a week can you commit to participating on the TSC?
2-4

What other mobile data collection projects, social good projects, or open source projects are you involved with?

Please share any links to public resources (e.g., resume, blog, Github) that help support your application.

2 Likes

First of all, I would like to give thanks to all core team who thinks that TSC is must and they call application publicly which is one of the best thing.
It’s good that @yanokwa give name publicly and we, who are a newbie in ODK can see the profile of our TSCs and ask questions with them.
My question is that you said that you will soon start Automated testing soon. Where will you implement this could you brief this more, @Shobhit_Agarwal ?

Narendra

1 Like

@Shobhit_Agarwal It's been awesome to your growth as a contributor and I'm really glad to see your application to the TSC!

In your application, you mentioned only ODK Collect, which you've made great contributions to. Do you also have interest in growing your involvement in some of the other ODK tools?

Another question I had has to do with your experience. I think you have less experience than many of the other applicants. I don't think that is a disqualifier at all, but you might be less confident about standing up for an idea or direction that you think is right, but others think is wrong. Is this a concern you have? If so, how do you think that potential risk should be managed?

@yanokwa First of all, I would like to thank you and @LN for showing faith in me and giving me the opportunity to contribute to this project. It has been a great experience for me and I hope to continue doing that to the best of my efforts.

Do you also have interest in growing your involvement in some of the other ODK tools?

Yes, absolutely. It's just that I enjoy working on ODK - Collect so much that I continue working on it didn't look into the issues of other ODK tools. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I now feel the importance of why one should have the in-depth knowledge of each tool before being in such an important committee as TSC. I will surely start my involvement with other tools as well.

I think you have less experience than many of the other applicants. I don’t think that is a disqualifier at all, but you might be less confident about standing up for an idea or direction that you think is right, but others think is wrong. Is this a concern you have? If so, how do you think that potential risk should be managed?

Yes, I agree that I don't have much experience as compared to the other fellow applicants. If others can find out a flaw in the idea proposed by me and I am unable to answer their questions then that means something is actually wrong in the idea and it needs to be corrected before going forward with it. So this does not make me nervous but instead motivates me to be more focused and thoughtful in all of my actions. For preventing any such potential risks, I think that writing out each and everything in detail and discussing with the community is very important before starting the implementation.

2 Likes

@iamnarendrasingh Thank you for your question!
I have never written automated tests in any android project and wanted to learn this eagerly.
So as a first step towards this, I wrote some automated unit tests for the ODK Collect project with the help of the community members.

You can check the current progress from here

2 Likes