Sign or annotate a fixed image specified in the form definition

What is the general goal of the feature?
As a survey designer, I would like to be able to specify an image to be annotated in an annotate question or an image to be signed in a signature question.

@Grzesiek2010 has prepared a demo of what this might look like:
43318592-a66fe622-91a1-11e8-960f-4fefb41e52e1

What are some example use cases for this feature?

• Annotate a standard human body outline to indicate, for example, regions of pain (a similar thing can be done with image-map but it specifies touch zones whereas this allows for any part(s) of the body to be indicated, perhaps with arrows and the like)
  • Annotate a standard building plan like a joint between two pieces of lumber
  • Previously from a user: Annotate media embedded in form
  • Sign next to agreement text so it's clear what is being signed for

What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
Spec and implementation guidance. As is often the case with these things, the tricky part is coming up with a consistent, clean way for the ODK XForms and XLSForm specification to provide this behavior. I have started Proposal: specify a fixed image to be annotated or signed to discuss this.

that's exactly that i need
i want to suite on a plan specifics points to know where measurements have been done
i need to preload the plan and after that put some mark on it

:thinking:
This would be a really neat feature!

@danbjoseph Perhaps something to bring up with the TSC? Once there's agreement on the specification side, this should be really quick to ship. That discussion has started here. I strongly favor the "defaults" approach but am open to alternatives if there's strong consensus. In particular, I'd really like to see an example form for what @martijnr was describing on that thread.

thank you to @LN (via Slack)

Currently this is implemented and pending pyxform https://github.com/XLSForm/pyxform/issues/405 and docs https://github.com/getodk/docs/issues/1184

If you need it today, you can just put jr://images/<image filename> in the default column and that should be passed through and work.

+-------+------------+-----------------------+------------+------------------------+
| type  |    name    |         label         | appearance |        default         |
+-------+------------+-----------------------+------------+------------------------+
| image | annotating | Circle things please. | annotate   | jr://images/aerial.png |

Central will ask you to add the image.

And it will be loaded in when you complete the survey.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How can I use default images with Google Drive?

11 posts were split to a new topic: Anotate one of many possible fixed images

Documentation for this feature is in a tip for the annotate appearance.