Spinner widget opens with end-of-list

I created a select_one question with "minimal" appearance. There are more than 100 possible answers (species list). When I tap, the spinner widget opens showing the end of the option list. I would like to show the top of the list when opening, because it is in order of previous frequency and therefore it is more likely that someone will need choices from the top. It would help me if I could add a default answer, but if I add one answer as default, it does not appear. I also tried adding a calculated field to the form and add in the .xml:
calculate="/form/defaultanswer"
It still did not show up.

I use ODK Collect 1.12.2 on Android 4.2.1 (Evolveo)
I would think this does not make a difference.

Could you share your form here?

vadhatas_v1.zip (54.7 KB)

Sure, I shared the form. There is one thing I forgot to mention: the answers are in a .csv and the appearance is minimal search('list.cv'). There are a number of questions like this, e.g. fafaj.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Thanks, @Kristof_Kelemen you are right it's a bug.
I created an issue here https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/1935

Regards,
Grzegorz

@Grzesiek2010 Thank you for creating the issue and the example form. Can you think of any workarounds though?

We have to fix that on our side so you just need to wait for that fix and next release.

1 Like

You have the right idea with trying to set a default as a workaround. I believe you are using XLSForm, set the default value in the default column: http://xlsform.org/#default.

Edit: looks like you've tried that at Setting default for minimal search('list') appearance

@LN: thank you, I did manage to find a workaround for setting the default, which does indeed help my situation to start the list from the beginning.

I did some testing and although it seemed like a good solution, setting the default with the calculate does have some problems. My question is within a repeat group. When I swipe back to the previous repeat and back again, the filled value disappears and the default shows...

I just tagged on in another thread with an update -- this will be addressed in the next Collect release.

In the mean time, you are right that using calculates for defaults has to be done very carefully. Read this post for the mental model to have.