an issue and others to be (randomly) told that their chief supports an
issue. After the note, there will be three follow up questions about how
the respondent reacts to the note. I can't figure out how to accomplish
this in ODK - either by creating different notes and randomly selecting one
to appear at the beginning of a group or by creating one note with text
randomly varied within it. I am using the Excel method of creating my ODK
forms, which I know is not as bad*** as doing the coding in xml, but I am,
alas, not bad*** in many ways.

Please let me know if you can help or have ideas. Thank you!
Brigitte

Hi Brigitte,

One way of approaching this would be to generate the sequences beforehand. That way you could use, for instance, block randomization so that all combinations would be covered once before the next block -- randomization is within the block only. This produces more uniform and thus more efficient sampling than full randomization.

The experimenter wouldn't need to know which combination is coming up next, thus eliminating experimenter bias.

Perhaps this can be implemented as jumping to separate sections for each combination in a form depending on an entered order number, or having unique instances of the form depending for each combination. In the latter option, however, care would have to be taken that the experimenter doesn't see the upcoming variant before the respondent is ready to go.

Cheers,

Sebastian

ยทยทยท On Friday, 10 June 2016 23:32:20 UTC+3, Brigitte Zimmerman wrote: > Hi All, > > > I'm new to this community (and to using ODK), and I hope I don't violate some norm in how I post this question or what I say. Apologies in advance if I do. > > > I'm running a survey in Zambia where I'm hoping to randomize the text of a note (or question text, if it's easier to think of it that way). I'd like some respondents to be (randomly) told that their religious leaders support an issue and others to be (randomly) told that their chief supports an issue. After the note, there will be three follow up questions about how the respondent reacts to the note. I can't figure out how to accomplish this in ODK - either by creating different notes and randomly selecting one to appear at the beginning of a group or by creating one note with text randomly varied within it. I am using the Excel method of creating my ODK forms, which I know is not as bad*** as doing the coding in xml, but I am, alas, not bad*** in many ways. > > > Please let me know if you can help or have ideas. Thank you! > Brigitte