Text with appearance=number Not working in some Devices

What is the problem? Please be detailed.

I am using text field with apperance=number for some fields to make this field accepts numeric and decimal values. But Some devices are not supported decimal inputs. But in my handset its working fine with decimal values.

I am Share the screenshot which is sent to me by my client.

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?

ODK Collect - 1.18.2
Device - Samsung Galaxy - version - not sure

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

Nothing Yet.

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Nothing Yet

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.

You can try switching the keyboard from the device. You can also try installing additional keyboard if the existing keyboards do not support. Generally, multiple default keyboards exist in the devices. Try with the alternatives first.

I believe this is a device specific issue that we can't do much about. @Grzesiek2010 can you confirm?

Hi,
Only Samsung devices have this issue with their default keyboard app. We have already experienced that and instructed client to use Gboard instead and the issue disappeared.

I am using text field with apperance=number for some fields to make this field accepts numeric and decimal values.

apperance=number is for numbers not decimals.
For decimal values, you need to use decimal data type not text with number appearance.

Could you confirm you use appropriate types, because your description doesn't indicate it?

1 Like