Trouble connecting to server on multiple devices

Hi all,

I am having trouble connecting ODK collect to my server. I have set up the VM and virtual box. I am able to access the aggregate website and upload the form. I also downloaded ODK collect no my andriod and entered the appropriate information in general settings. I am able to connect to the server and get the form. But I have some staff in a different country try do the same thing and are getting the following message

Form listing failed. Parsing failed with failed to connect to [my IP] (port 8080) from [their IP] (port 605900)...

I've installed ODK aggregate using Virtual Box VM

The confusing thing is the ODK collect app on my phone connects and can get the form I've uploaded on the ODK aggregate website, but not my field team. Do I need to open up the port somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the ODK forum, @catlan! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

Is your Aggregate server in the cloud or on local hardware? Can you provide some more details about your setup? Is your phone accessing the server while on the same local network? Are you using a private IP address or a public IP address?

Hi Dan! Thanks for the reply. I'll set up my account and introduce myself. I am a grad student based in the US.

As to your questions, I'm definitely a bit above my tech skills here. I first tried downloading digital ocean and Google, but I think I may have downloaded too many files or too little. I had also started the process for Tomcat, but didn't finish because it was a bit too difficult. I then went through process to download DigitalOcean, created my own subdomain, seemingly everything works out but then when I got back to the domain to see if aggregate will pull up. I receive!

I also tried VM and it ended up working, but I'm not sure how to make my server public. I got to a point that I could upload forms from Aggregate on my network, but my team elsewhere can not. I'm at a bit of a loss now. As, I'm not even sure how to add users to this Tomcat app...

Thanks in advance!
Catlan

Would you be willing to try using Central instead of Aggregate? The docs say it's "early in its development" but it is a robust and ready server option. I found it considerably easier to setup than Aggregate on a cloud service provider (Digital Ocean or Amazon Web Services).