Try to install ODK central on VPS

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I have godaddy VPS in which many site are already live. I try to install ODK central on this VPS. But I am facing issue regarding ports and domain. what should be the suitable .env file, docker-compose.yml, and any other file configuration for this? Should I have to work on docker configuration?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
Godaddy VPS having Centos operating system
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I tried to change port in .env file and docker-compose.yml file. I changed to port 80 to 81 and 443 to 444
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
try follow steps of docs "Installing elsewhere" section of "Setting Up ODK Central"
5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Central runs on ports 80/443 and that’s conflicting with your other services.

If you'd like to run it on other ports, you'll need to change the ports you'd like to use in .env (and not in docker-compose.yml). And once you change those ports, you'll need to change your SSL_TYPE to something besides letsencrypt because Let's Encrypt requires port 80.

If you have your own cert, use the customssl type and follow the instructions at https://docs.getodk.org/central-install-digital-ocean/#using-a-custom-ssl-certificate. If you don't have your own cert, you'll need to use the upstream type and set up an SSL-enabled upstream provider (e.g., a load balancer or a reverse proxy) that routes traffic to ports that Central is running on.

2 Likes

I used upstream option and install it on port 81. It installed successfully. When I am uploading a .xlsx form in any project successfully, I am not able preview and download on web and mobile as well. On web preview error is "Request to https://xyz.xyz.com/v1/projects/3/formList?formID=abcd failed" and on odk collect "xyz (ID: xyz)-Failure". Can you please suggest for this it will be very helpful...

What are you using as your SSL-enabled upstream provider (e.g., a load balancer or a reverse proxy) that routes traffic to ports that Central is running on?

Thanks for reply. I did not used any SSL. It is running without SSL and I am also don't want use any ssl.