Unknown question type 'range' when converting .xlsx file to .xml via XLSForm v1.4.7

I am currently receiving an error message when trying to convert my .xlsx spreadsheet file into a .xml form file via the drag and drop process using the XLSForm.exe file (v1.4.7). The error message says as follows:

Unknown question type 'range' .
Press Enter to continue...

Upon pressing Enter, the conversion fails and no .xml file appears within the "output" folder. Despite the XLSForm guidelines suggesting that there is a "range" question type, it seems as though the converter does not recognize it. Additionally, even the Enketo preview does not seem to recognize "range" questions. For example, go four pages into the linked Enketo preview form and look at the questions formatted below (note: they are listed as "range" questions).

At what temperature do you typically set your thermostat in the summer?
Default = 78 degrees Fahrenheit.
At what temperature do you typically set your thermostat in the winter?
Default = 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://odk.enke.to/preview?form=http://82.196.7.170/downloads/07krql1i/cwc_1_pre.xml

Here is the excerpted XLSForm content from the two rows of that portion of the .xlsx file.

type name label::English (en) parameters default
range pre_client_summer_setpoint At what temperature do you typically set your thermostat in the summer? start=65;end=85;step=1 78
range pre_client_winter_setpoint At what temperature do you typically set your thermostat in the winter? start=60;end=80;step=1 68

The only fix is to change the question type from "range" to "integer" but that is a slightly different functionality and I would prefer the "range" question type.

Thanks!
Hal

XLSForm.exe file (v1.4.7) was released on April 20, 2017 and we added range widget later so that means this tool doesn't support mentioned question type.

Thanks @Grzesiek2010!

Is there another free tool that will enable conversion? Or is there a way that I can request development of that tool to include the range question type?

When I use the online XLSForm conversion tool, the Enketo preview shows my .xml form online, but the results from the "Download XForm" do not show the same full .xml form as created from the XLSForm.exe tool. For example, on the previously linked preview, below is the .xml file that the "Download XForm" generates. Am I doing something incorrectly?

marketing_radio marketing_tv marketing_sign marketing_event marketing_social marketing_mouth marketing_other motivation_energy motivation_water motivation_money motivation_repair motivation_comfort motivation_safety motivation_live motivation_learn motivation_other Select all that apply. behaviors_none behaviors_energy behaviors_water bill_0-50 bill_51-100 bill_101-150 bill_151-200 bill_201-300 bill_301-400 bill_401-500 bill_501+ comfort_-3 comfort_-2 comfort_-1 comfort_0 comfort_1 comfort_2 comfort_3 bill_0-50 bill_51-100 bill_101-150 bill_151-200 bill_201-300 bill_301-400 bill_401-500 bill_501+ comfort_-3 comfort_-2 comfort_-1 comfort_0 comfort_1 comfort_2 comfort_3 cooling_none cooling_central_default cooling_central_heatpump_air cooling_central_heatpump_ground cooling_heatpump_minisplit cooling_evaporative_direct cooling_evaporative_indirect cooling_evaporative_dual cooling_room cooling_fan_wholehouse cooling_fan_ceiling cooling_fan_portable cooling_other heating_none heating_furnace_gas_central heating_furnace_gas_room heating_furnace_oil heating_furnace_electric heating_central_heatpump_air heating_central_heatpump_ground heating_baseboard heating_boiler_gas heating_boiler_oil heating_other Default = 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Default = 68 degrees Fahrenheit. filter_0 filter_1 filter_3 filter_6 filter_9 filter_12 filter_other yes no Full bathrooms have a toilet, sink, and shower (or tub). Half bathrooms only have a toilet and sink. These are centrally provided services and do not include on-site services (e.g., propane tanks, well water, septic systems). meter_electric meter_gas meter_water meter_wastewater yes no yes no If yes, the next question will allow to select what may be captured and stored. yes no Select all that apply. consent_people consent_spaces consent_systems yes no yes no yes no

Thanks!
Hal

@halknowles Can you try XLSForm Offline? I just published a new release at https://github.com/opendatakit/xlsform-offline/releases a few minutes ago and it should support the range type.

As far as the issue with downloading the XML, my guess is that your browser is displaying the XML inline (like a web page) rather than downloading it. Maybe try a different browser?

2 Likes

@yanokwa thanks for the link to the XLSForm Offline. I just ran my .xlsx file through your new v1.6.0 converter and it worked perfectly. The range question type looks great in ODK Collect. Thanks for solving my issue!

As for http://opendatakit.org/xiframe/ online converter, I have tried it in both Chrome and Firefox and both show similar outputs. When I tried it in Internet Explorer, I got the following message:

This content cannot be displayed in a frame

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

What you can try:

Open this content in a new window