Using choice filter on or_other question

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I have a select_one question (What is your primary source for irrigation water?) and then a follow up select_multiple question (What are your OTHER sources of irrigation water)? I have a choice filter on the second question such that only those choices NOT selected in the first question are among the choices in the second question. In addition (and here is the problem), I would also like an "other" response on the second question, but it seems to be not appearing because of the choice filter. Can I do both the choice filter and the or_other option?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK on Macbook Pro

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I have tried the above configuration.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Explained above.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Can you try this, sorry I'm not on my computer or else I would try it out for you. But, in the "name" column on your choices tab, does the "other" choice in question number one have the same 'name' as your "other" choice from question two? For example, if the name from first choice list was 'other1', and the name in the second choice list was 'other2'... Does that work?

I can try but would prefer to use the or_other option under the column for question type because selecting this response opens a text box.

Hi @dbk,
Both opening the text box and using the choice filter should be possible. Are you able to attach your XLSFORM and I can take a look?

Hi Janna. Sure and thanks for your help.
temp_8_31_21.xlsx (12.8 KB)

Hi @dbk ,
Thanks for the XLSForm, that's super helpful. Yes, I see what you mean with the choice_filter seeming to interfere with the or_other functionality!

Please see attached XLSForm, which I think acts the way you want it to.

To do it, I:

1. removed the or_other from your second question, and
  2. made a second choice-list (duplicate) for your second question, so it didn't interfere with choice-list of your first question by adding 'Other' manually,
  3. added 'other2' as the name for 'Other' in the second choice list, and then
  4. added the pop-up question for Other to appear after the second question (using selected(${field_irrigate_source},'other2') in the relevant column)

This now functions as expected. Not sure if there's anyone who can explain the choice-filter and or_other not working simultaneously? Perhaps a more elegant solution out there...

However, this at least allows the functionality for now...hope it's helpful!

Cheers,
Janna
temp_8_31_21.xlsx (12.9 KB)

Thanks Janna. This works great!

1 Like