When selecting "choose image" from gallery in ODK collect, it only sometimes works

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
When selecting "choose image" from gallery for an "image" field in ODK collect, it only sometimes works. Taking a picture with the device camera works every time. When selecting an image from the device gallery, I'll select an image and sometimes nothing happens. It's easy to tell when it successfully selects and image because the image will load into the form. It seems random whether or not the image will load. I have yet to figure out a pattern for images that will load and will not load. I'm wondering if this a problem specifically with my device or if others have had this problem and if there is a solution.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
Phone: Redmi 5 plus
Android Version: 8.1.0, OPM1.171019.019
ODKcollect

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Nothing, I could try another device but currently dont have access to one.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Use my phone model to test it, but unlikely anyone has my same device. Or, try ODK collect with an image field on android device and see if the same thing happens.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Welcome to the ODK forum, @Atlin! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please Introduce yourself here!. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

Regarding the issue with selecting image from your phone, despite of Android version the Android OS varies from phone to phone. The problem could be related to that specific model of that device. You can give a try on another device.

Thanks,
Imran

It's rather caused by your gallery app not Android version. Could you tell us more about that app?

I believe i found the cause of the issue. When you select a photo from your gallery it creates a copy of it in your form data folder. For testing purpose I was selecting random images as placeholders (sometimes selecting the copy of the original photo from the form data folder). I think using the copy of the image was causing it not to load into the form for whatever reason. It doesn't matter anyway, because my forms will all have original images in them anyway (no duplicates). It could have also been my gallery app contributing to this error. I think it was the google gallery app, but my issue isnt really a problem anymore. thanks for your replies

1 Like