I just completed my first of three training sessions for Phase 2 of my
client's 3000 survey project here in Tanzania. This time, I gave the data
collectors (only in the tricky areas that might have potential network
issues) the data cable that came with their Android device and carefully
showed them how to Zip the odk folder, and then send it to me as an
attachment -- JUST IN CASE!!

Anyhow, I was just playing around in ODK Aggregate via the web interface
and went to peek a sample form I uploaded for testing. If I go to Form
Management-->Submission Admin and then select the appropriate form in theFormpull-down menu, I can then click the Manually
Upload Submission Data button where a new window opens up which allows the
user (in this case a form administrator!) to upload (submit) one form at a
time by accessing the odk folder. I was really impressed with this
feature and then I had a light bulb idea moment. :slight_smile:

What IF it was possible for me to create a single user id/password account only
for the data collectors
(or for each separately, no big deal) which gave
them access to that form BUT they had no way to Purge Submission Data??
So, essentially, once they log in with said user id, Aggregate knows to
allow this data collector who is NOT an administrator to still be allowed
to upload (submit) forms in the Form Management section.

If I had that feature, I could give my guys a cyber cafe allowance (as a
backup contingency) since they're only collecting 10 to 20 forms PER DAY
max. My data duplication problem would be a thing of the past when or if
there were problems with the 2G/3G network.
Soooo...is this possible?? It wouldn't harm anyone (data administrators)
since that particular user id CAN NOT do any other form management duties
-- only submitting data which is really what the ODK community is all
about: Getting data off mobile devices that are collected by users in the
field -- by any means necessary. :slight_smile:

Look at it this way. I also told my data collectors if they have problems
sending the odk.zip file -- because the attachment was too large (Yahoo,
GMail, Hotmail have attachment size limits) -- they could upload said file
to our FTP sever if we needed to cross that bridge. So, with this new
feature, that bridge for data collectors in Africa will never have to be
crossed. Cyber cafes are everywhere and the Manually Upload Submission Datafeature is pure genius, but it's only for administrators which is a shame.

Cheers!

~DataMax

Please file an issue on our website and we will see if we can work it
into the next release.

http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/list

Waylon

··· On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM, DataMax wrote: > Hi Guys, > I just completed my first of three training sessions for Phase 2 of my > client's 3000 survey project here in Tanzania. This time, I gave the data > collectors (only in the tricky areas that might have potential network > issues) the data cable that came with their Android device and carefully > showed them how to Zip the odk folder, and then send it to me as an > attachment -- JUST IN CASE!! > > Anyhow, I was just playing around in ODK Aggregate via the web interface and > went to peek a sample form I uploaded for testing. If I go to Form > Management-->Submission Admin and then select the appropriate form in the > Form pull-down menu, I can then click the Manually Upload Submission Data > button where a new window opens up which allows the user (in this case a > form administrator!) to upload (submit) one form at a time by accessing the > odk folder. I was really impressed with this feature and then I had a light > bulb idea moment. :-) > > What IF it was possible for me to create a single user id/password account > only for the data collectors (or for each separately, no big deal) which > gave them access to that form BUT they had no way to Purge Submission Data?? > So, essentially, once they log in with said user id, Aggregate knows to > allow this data collector who is NOT an administrator to still be allowed to > upload (submit) forms in the Form Management section. > > If I had that feature, I could give my guys a cyber cafe allowance (as a > backup contingency) since they're only collecting 10 to 20 forms PER DAY > max. My data duplication problem would be a thing of the past when or if > there were problems with the 2G/3G network. > Soooo...is this possible?? It wouldn't harm anyone (data administrators) > since that particular user id CAN NOT do any other form management duties -- > only submitting data which is really what the ODK community is all about: > Getting data off mobile devices that are collected by users in the field -- > by any means necessary. :-) > > Look at it this way. I also told my data collectors if they have problems > sending the odk.zip file -- because the attachment was too large (Yahoo, > GMail, Hotmail have attachment size limits) -- they could upload said file > to our FTP sever if we needed to cross that bridge. So, with this new > feature, that bridge for data collectors in Africa will never have to be > crossed. Cyber cafes are everywhere and the Manually Upload Submission Data > feature is pure genius, but it's only for administrators which is a shame. > > Cheers! > > ~DataMax > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

DataMax,

Just FYI, if you have phones with slow or only intermittent connection, we
have been pretty happy using Dropsync to sync files. It is transparent for
the interviewer and the data collectors would not be manipulating files or
risk purging submission data. On the other, if you want to delete the
submitted forms (say for security reasons) you can do so remotely.

P.

··· From: opendatakit@googlegroups.com [mailto:opendatakit@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of DataMax Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:49 PM To: opendatakit@googlegroups.com Subject: [ODK Community] A KILLER feature for ODK Aggregate's Web Interface

Hi Guys,
I just completed my first of three training sessions for Phase 2 of my
client's 3000 survey project here in Tanzania. This time, I gave the data
collectors (only in the tricky areas that might have potential network
issues) the data cable that came with their Android device and carefully
showed them how to Zip the odk folder, and then send it to me as an
attachment -- JUST IN CASE!!

Anyhow, I was just playing around in ODK Aggregate via the web interface and
went to peek a sample form I uploaded for testing. If I go to Form
Management-->Submission Admin and then select the appropriate form in the
Form pull-down menu, I can then click the Manually Upload Submission Data
button where a new window opens up which allows the user (in this case a
form administrator!) to upload (submit) one form at a time by accessing the
odk folder. I was really impressed with this feature and then I had a light
bulb idea moment. :slight_smile:

What IF it was possible for me to create a single user id/password account
only for the data collectors (or for each separately, no big deal) which
gave them access to that form BUT they had no way to Purge Submission Data??
So, essentially, once they log in with said user id, Aggregate knows to
allow this data collector who is NOT an administrator to still be allowed to
upload (submit) forms in the Form Management section.

If I had that feature, I could give my guys a cyber cafe allowance (as a
backup contingency) since they're only collecting 10 to 20 forms PER DAY
max. My data duplication problem would be a thing of the past when or if
there were problems with the 2G/3G network.
Soooo...is this possible?? It wouldn't harm anyone (data administrators)
since that particular user id CAN NOT do any other form management duties --
only submitting data which is really what the ODK community is all about:
Getting data off mobile devices that are collected by users in the field --
by any means necessary. :slight_smile:

Look at it this way. I also told my data collectors if they have problems
sending the odk.zip file -- because the attachment was too large (Yahoo,
GMail, Hotmail have attachment size limits) -- they could upload said file
to our FTP sever if we needed to cross that bridge. So, with this new
feature, that bridge for data collectors in Africa will never have to be
crossed. Cyber cafes are everywhere and the Manually Upload Submission Data
feature is pure genius, but it's only for administrators which is a shame.

Cheers!

~DataMax

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Hi Patrick,
I will definitely be taking DropSync for a spin in the next phase as I've
been reading good things about it. Right now, all the phones have been
distributed to their regions. Is there a way to submit directly from
Dropbox to Aggregate? Now thaaaat would be sweeet. :slight_smile:

~DataMax

··· On Monday, August 20, 2012 8:56:16 PM UTC+3, Patrick Vinck wrote: > > DataMax, > > Just FYI, if you have phones with slow or only intermittent connection, we > have been pretty happy using Dropsync to sync files. It is transparent for > the interviewer and the data collectors would not be manipulating files or > risk purging submission data. On the other, if you want to delete the > submitted forms (say for security reasons) you can do so remotely. > > > > P. > > *From:* opend...@googlegroups.com [mailto: > opend...@googlegroups.com ] *On Behalf Of *DataMax > *Sent:* Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:49 PM > *To:* opend...@googlegroups.com > *Subject:* [ODK Community] A KILLER feature for ODK Aggregate's Web > Interface > > Hi Guys, > I just completed my first of three training sessions for Phase 2 of my > client's 3000 survey project here in Tanzania. This time, I gave the data > collectors (only in the tricky areas that might have potential network > issues) the data cable that came with their Android device and carefully > showed them how to Zip the odk folder, and then send it to me as an > attachment -- JUST IN CASE!! > > Anyhow, I was just playing around in ODK Aggregate via the web interface > and went to peek a sample form I uploaded for testing. If I go to Form > Management-->Submission Admin and then select the appropriate form in theFormpull-down menu, I can then click the > *Manually Upload Submission Data* button where a new window opens up > which allows the user (in this case a form administrator!) to upload > (submit) one form at a time by accessing the odk folder. I was *really > impressed* with this feature and then I had a light bulb idea moment. :-) > > What IF it was possible for me to create a single user id/password account > *only for the data collectors* (or for each separately, no big deal) > which gave them access to that form BUT they had no way to *Purge > Submission Data*?? So, essentially, once they log in with said user id, > Aggregate knows to allow this data collector who is NOT an administrator to > still be allowed to upload (submit) forms in the Form Management section. > > If I had that feature, I could give my guys a cyber cafe allowance (as a > backup contingency) since they're only collecting 10 to 20 forms PER DAY > max. My data duplication problem would be a thing of the past when or if > there were problems with the 2G/3G network. > Soooo...is this possible?? It wouldn't harm anyone (data administrators) > since that particular user id CAN NOT do any other form management duties > -- *only submitting data* which is really what the ODK community is all > about: Getting data off mobile devices that are collected by users in the > field -- by any means necessary. :-) > > Look at it this way. I also told my data collectors if they have problems > sending the odk.zip file -- because the attachment was too large (Yahoo, > GMail, Hotmail have attachment size limits) -- they could upload said file > to our FTP sever *if we needed to cross that bridge*. So, with this new > feature, that bridge for data collectors in Africa will never have to be > crossed. Cyber cafes are everywhere and the *Manually Upload Submission > Data* feature is pure genius, but it's only for administrators which is a > shame. > > Cheers! > > ~DataMax > > -- > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Hi DataMax,

This is an old thread so not sure if you are monitoring it at all but have
a look at FolderSync, app on the play store which allows you to link a
folder say /odk to a cloud based storage facility such as GDrive or
whichever you choose. Lots of cool features.

Regards,
Wesley

··· On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:45:59 PM UTC+2, DataMax wrote: > > Hi Patrick, > I will definitely be taking DropSync for a spin in the next phase as I've > been reading good things about it. Right now, all the phones have been > distributed to their regions. Is there a way to submit directly from > Dropbox to Aggregate? Now thaaaat would be sweeet. :-) > > ~DataMax > > On Monday, August 20, 2012 8:56:16 PM UTC+3, Patrick Vinck wrote: >> >> DataMax, >> >> Just FYI, if you have phones with slow or only intermittent connection, >> we have been pretty happy using Dropsync to sync files. It is transparent >> for the interviewer and the data collectors would not be manipulating files >> or risk purging submission data. On the other, if you want to delete the >> submitted forms (say for security reasons) you can do so remotely. >> >> >> >> P. >> >> *From:* opend...@googlegroups.com [mailto:opend...@googlegroups.com] *On >> Behalf Of *DataMax >> *Sent:* Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:49 PM >> *To:* opend...@googlegroups.com >> *Subject:* [ODK Community] A KILLER feature for ODK Aggregate's Web >> Interface >> >> Hi Guys, >> I just completed my first of three training sessions for Phase 2 of my >> client's 3000 survey project here in Tanzania. This time, I gave the data >> collectors (only in the tricky areas that might have potential network >> issues) the data cable that came with their Android device and carefully >> showed them how to Zip the odk folder, and then send it to me as an >> attachment -- JUST IN CASE!! >> >> Anyhow, I was just playing around in ODK Aggregate via the web interface >> and went to peek a sample form I uploaded for testing. If I go to Form >> Management-->Submission Admin and then select the appropriate form in theFormpull-down menu, I can then click the *Manually >> Upload Submission Data* button where a new window opens up which allows >> the user (in this case a form administrator!) to upload (submit) one form >> at a time by accessing the odk folder. I was *really impressed* with >> this feature and then I had a light bulb idea moment. :-) >> >> What IF it was possible for me to create a single user id/password >> account *only for the data collectors* (or for each separately, no big >> deal) which gave them access to that form BUT they had no way to *Purge >> Submission Data*?? So, essentially, once they log in with said user id, >> Aggregate knows to allow this data collector who is NOT an administrator to >> still be allowed to upload (submit) forms in the Form Management section. >> >> If I had that feature, I could give my guys a cyber cafe allowance (as a >> backup contingency) since they're only collecting 10 to 20 forms PER DAY >> max. My data duplication problem would be a thing of the past when or if >> there were problems with the 2G/3G network. >> Soooo...is this possible?? It wouldn't harm anyone (data administrators) >> since that particular user id CAN NOT do any other form management duties >> -- *only submitting data* which is really what the ODK community is all >> about: Getting data off mobile devices that are collected by users in the >> field -- by any means necessary. :-) >> >> Look at it this way. I also told my data collectors if they have problems >> sending the odk.zip file -- because the attachment was too large (Yahoo, >> GMail, Hotmail have attachment size limits) -- they could upload said file >> to our FTP sever *if we needed to cross that bridge*. So, with this new >> feature, that bridge for data collectors in Africa will never have to be >> crossed. Cyber cafes are everywhere and the *Manually Upload Submission >> Data* feature is pure genius, but it's only for administrators which is >> a shame. >> >> Cheers! >> >> ~DataMax >> >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >