Add GEO PDF capabilities to use offline maps

1. What is the general goal of the feature?
The general goal is to have a more flexible and simple way on the type of (offline) maps we could use within ODK.
2. What are some example use cases for this feature?
Any app that would require to navigate on custom maps will benefit since in a geo pdf you can add raster and vector in one layer. These geopdf are easy to create with other open source tools like QGIS.
3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
I could help collect funds.

Hi
Why don't you use mbtiles?
In qGIS or with tilemill you can create a offlinemap.

Hi Dominik,

I have used mbtiles and qgis to create tiles but only with vector data. Is it possible to used with raster also? If so, the geopdf capabilities is not necessary indeed.

Thanks!

Sorry, didn't see your question.
If you have the tiles as geotiffs, dann it is possible.
If the coordinate system is not in tilemill according to the specifications, then you can open a geotif in qGIS. Open the layer properties there. There you will find (I am unfortunately on holiday and can't say more accurately at the moment) the coordinate system. This must be displayed as code in proj4 (can also be put out in qGIS). They copy them and paste it appropriately at tilemill.
If you still need this, then I can send the more detailed workflow after my holiday (20.07)

1 Like

Thank you Domink1,
Please, when is possible for you provide me a more detail material on what you recommend. Thanks again and enjoy your holidays.

Hi
I will try to document it tomorrow.
Do you have geotiffs or for which country do you need background maps?

Sorry, but the Week after holidays are horrible :wink:
I hope I could help

Offlinekartenerzeugen.pdf (939.0 KB)

Thank you very much Dominik for taking the time to prepare this workflow. it is great and clear to me. Enjoy the rest of the summer!