Aggregate 404 Error using Google App Engine

Hello! After a period of inactivity, I'm having trouble accessing my Aggregate URL from Google App Engine. Please see details below. Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
In October/November 2018, I set up a project on Google App Engline and installed Aggregate. I followed the detailed instructions in the ODK documentation page to do this. Everything ran smoothly; I successfully accessed Aggregate, uploaded/downloaded forms, uploaded/downloaded data, etc.
I haven't touched GAE or accessed the server since then - until today. Today, I tried to go to the Aggregate URL and got a 404 error from Google ("404. That’s an error. The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.").

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

  • Google Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • ODK Aggregate version 1.6.1

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

  • Enabled/disabled billing
  • Verified that the application is enabled
  • Tried a different browser (Firefox)

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Visit the Aggregate URL:

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
Just want to confirm that from searching before posting, I know now that:

  • I am not using the latest version of Aggregate (did the update to 1.7 include something relevant to installing on GAE? I'll of course update if needed to fix this; I just don't have a sense for whether it is necessary for this issue.)
  • GAE won't be supported in version 2 and beyond for Aggregate. I am using GAE for now, however, as I don't know of an alternative to deploy Aggregate for free.

Photo of Google App Engine settings page:

Welcome to the forum, @Mulhollandge, and thank you for your detailed message!

This isn't a browser problem. Something has gone wrong with your Aggregate install. It's almost like someone has removed all the application code.

Make sure billing is enabled and then try installing Aggregate 1.7.3 over your current install and it should fix whatever issue you might be having.

There is a very small risk that the re-install will wipe any existing data you have. If that data is important to keep, please backup Aggregate.

Thanks so much, @yanokwa! Wish I could say how I managed to do that, but I have no idea! :woman_shrugging: I'll give those suggestions a try.
Thanks again!

1 Like