Aggregate-with-MySQL VS Aggregate-with-PostgreSQL

Scenario
You want to setup ODK Aggregate but you don't know the pros-and-cons of the 2 DBMSes.

What are the similarities and the differences between the two setups?

Hi @Divya_Rani, that's a good article to start to. Also I am more interested into the ODK Aggregate setup considerations with respect to the 2 DBMSes. e.g.: blobs, keys, etc

I think Postgres should be your first choice these days. My understanding is that MySQL is supported for backwards compatibility and for people who need to interface with existing MySQL-based systems.

Well, that's one good heads up.

Quick questions though... Aggregate was created with Postgres in mind? -- and that MySQL was mainly for backwards compatibility only?

It first targeted Data Store and MySQL. I believe that MySQL support still remains for backwards compatibility more than anything.

Right. Data Store for the App Engine setup. MySQL for own server setup.

So, what I really want to know is...

How does the Aggregate-with-PostgreSQL differ from Aggregate-with-MySQL?

We have had this Aggregate installation of ours for about 2-3 years now. It used MySQL. Now we are having this new separate project and probably install a newer Aggregate. What I thought was to use PostgreSQL for the database because it is more geolocation-heavy.

How do these 2 setups differ from each other?

As far as Aggregate itself is concerned there should be no differences. It's about your integration needs and what you're more comfortable with.

I said I'd go with Postgres which is true if I were starting from scratch but if I were already supporting some MySQL-based installs I'd probably go for consistency.

1 Like