Briefcase seems inert!

Greetings from South Africa.
I have several thousand records downloaded in ten or twelve batches from 11 phones (1 phone per sampling site), sitting on my computer. Effectively these comprise a single record each in its own folder, in the format they were copied (using Windows) onto my laptop from each phone.
I need to build a database for each site.
I believe Briefcase is my weapon of choice to somehow spring all that data out of its own folders and into a .csv file.
I have downloaded the latest version of Briefcase, I have Java 7 on my laptop, but once it's saved I cannot get Briefcase to open, run, or respond in any way.
Please help?
Kind regards,
Laura Bannatyne

Hi Laura,

Have you tried another PC?

Else if you could try http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2619584/how-to-set-java-home-on-windows-7

And some people recommend JAR Runner app.

ยทยทยท On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 8:39:59 PM UTC+2, ljfor...@gmail.com wrote: > Greetings from South Africa. > I have several thousand records downloaded in ten or twelve batches from 11 phones (1 phone per sampling site), sitting on my computer. Effectively these comprise a single record each in its own folder, in the format they were copied (using Windows) onto my laptop from each phone. > I need to build a database for each site. > I believe Briefcase is my weapon of choice to somehow spring all that data out of its own folders and into a .csv file. > I have downloaded the latest version of Briefcase, I have Java 7 on my laptop, but once it's saved I cannot get Briefcase to open, run, or respond in any way. > Please help? > Kind regards, > Laura Bannatyne

Hi Laura,
all you have to make sure you have the following folder from each phone:

1. Form
  2. Instances
    create a folder on your desktop, name it odk.
    inside the odk folder you have created, create this 2 folders as well,
  3. Form
  4. Instances

Copy all the forms from each phone to the forms folder and all the instances to the instances folder in odk folder,

Now open odk briefcase,
on Pull data from choose custom path to odk directory.
on odk directory locate the odk folder on your desktop and click on choose.

Make the forms that appear and click on Pull at the left hand bottom of the odk briefcase. When it is successful you can export the forms to csv format

Try this it will work for you

Thank you so much!

Laura Bannatyne

MSc Candidate

Geography Department

Rhodes University

084 865 5154