Bug ‘textContent’ Enketo

Hi all!

I’m having a problem with a survey in Enketo and I really can’t find the logic why it might be happening. I think it’s a bug.

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.

I get the following ‘textContent’ error when opening the survey in Enketo:

The same xls in the mobile app opens, with all the features and submissions working as expected.

The question that is causing the problem is a select_one_from_file [finename].csv, and the use of the ‘autocomplete’ feature and of the number of groups inside a repeat group seem both relevant.

2. What steps can we take to reproduce this issue?

Let's call 'Scenario 1' the scenario that reproduces the issue:

• Repeat Group that contains two normal groups;
  • The relevant ‘select_one_from_file [finename].csv’ question is inside 2nd group;
  • ‘autocomplete’ appearance is on;
  • RESULT: produces the bug

3. What have you tried to fix the issue?

Let's call 'Scenario 2' and Scenario 3' the scenarios that fix the issue by changing the use of some features (but the solution does not fit me since, unfortunately, I really need 'Scenario 1' to work in Enketo and not only in the app):

Scenario 2:

• Repeat Group that contains two normal groups;
  • The relevant ‘select_one_from_file [finename].csv’ question is inside 2nd group;
  • ‘autocomplete’ appearance is not added;
  • RESULT: does not produce the bug

Scenario 3

• Repeat Group now contains only the 2nd group of previous questions;
  • The relevant ‘select_one_from_file [finename].csv’ question is inside this group;
  • ‘autocomplete’ appearance is on;
  • RESULT: does not produce the bug

I've also tried creating new csvs, changing the csv type, etc. but nothing worked.

4. Upload any forms or screenshots you can share publicly below.

To protect my client’s details, I’m attaching the XLS files of the different scenarios with only the questions that seem to be causing the problem. I am also attaching the csv files with dummy data:

salespersons.csv (286 Bytes)
scenario 1 - error happens.xlsx (16.1 KB)
scenario 2 - no autocomplete, no error.xlsx (16.1 KB)
scenario 3 - 1 group, no error.xlsx (15.9 KB)
test.csv (151 Bytes)

Can anyone please help me with this problem? It’s a long post, but I’ve just tried to be as detailed as possible

Thank you in advance! Any help is really appreciated!

Kind regards,
Luis

Thanks so much for the very detailed report, this kind of information can really help with troubleshooting.

In this case, I can't reproduce on Central v2023.4.0 with Enketo 6.2.2 and I believe it was fixed by https://github.com/enketo/enketo-core/pull/995. Hopefully you're able to upgrade and that will work for your full form!

Thank you LN, that must be it! :smiling_face: