Bundling forms with ODK-Collect install

1. What is the general goal of the feature?

To make it easier for third parties to use ODK-Collect. Instead of first installing ODK-Collect, then going separately to a website (ODK-Server) to download a form (or multiple forms), they will be able to install both in one step. I feel that bundling the forms with the software will make it easier for them, and thus increase participation and reduce the need for technical support, especially with older study participants.

2. What are some example use cases for this feature?

Reporting on meals (pictures of food with location) several times a day, reporting on daily activities (hiking, swimming, driving), reporting on health status (e.g. falls, scratches, sunburns, swallowing water, road accidents)

These will be part of tracking activities, practices, well-being or health outcomes in different locations.

3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
I can do a user survey of the current system vs. the bundle and provide user satisfaction. I can also provide my own experience with customizing and creating forms and installing the bundles.

Currently, you can download Collect, and on first launch you get a screen that lets you scan a QR code from Central. That scan will configure the device and download the forms automatically in the background.

Have you tried this workflow lately? If it's not sufficient, can you describe how you imagine bundling will work?

1 Like

I have used ODK-Collect for proof of concept in Dec. 2019 (by sending forms with images to google forms from my cell phone on a trip abroad) and not once since. I am now coming back to ODK in the hope of using it when international leisure travel resumes. I wasn't aware of the new workflow and capabilities.

Do I need to upgrade/erase and reinstall my ODK-Collect version to try these features? If so, how. Where can I read about the new features?

Follow the steps at https://docs.getodk.org/getting-started. You will need to upgrade Collect on your mobile device and get a Central server.