Can i get Operating System Information from ODK Collect?

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I would like to know on which android version my data collectors are working? For this, I would like to know if there is any metatag available and that I can use to get information from the ODK form.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Collect from play store.
Digital Oscean

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I tried to find out metatag but did not get success.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @iamnarendrasingh

Currently it's not possible. I think you can create a topic in Features in order to add such an option, maybe to audit files?

@iamnarendrasingh Why is this information important to know?

Hey @yanokwa,
How are you? Happy New year to you and your family.
Let me explain a little bit more about the problem. We are using customize ODK for our data collection. We are using Xiami Redmi 7A for our data collection. We have near by 150+ data collector, and few data collector updated their android OS. Due to an update of Redmi phones, Data collectors were not able to see toast(constraint) messages on the screen. This is a big problem and then they are not that much tech-savvy that they can find out on which version they are working.

In this case, I was thinking that if possible can we able to get their android phone version details through metadata.

Best,
@iamnarendrasingh

Hi @iamnarendrasingh and happy new year to you too.

Wow, that is a big problem indeed. What Android version did you see this problem on?

Clients send a user agent string with every HTTP request. It will contain a string that includes device information that looks something like Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 8.1.0; Android SDK built for x86 Build/OSM1.180201.007) which could be logged. How and when you do it will depend a lot on your backend and user setup but perhaps that gives you enough to start working with.

I think that providing a metadata option to get that user agent string in a form submission is also a very good idea.