Can ODK Collect download a "Form-media" folder from Google Drive?

Dear ODK Community and Developers,

First of all: A big THANK YOU to all developers - ODK is such a wonderful
tool, I love the app and gave it 5* in Google Play!

My challenge: How to get ODK Collect to download a "media" folder
automatically from a Google Drive. Is there a way to do it?

Can this work somehow, or is it unsupported at the moment, or even a bug?

Downloading the bird example with the media folder and files (from ODK
Aggregate) works perfectly fine, but I have trouble getting my own media
folders to download.
I noticed that the media folders (with csv and/or jpg files in it) are not
automatically downloaded if I host them on my Google Drive.

Example:

I store
myform.xml
myform-media (folder with csv file in it)

Is there anything I can do to "convince" ODK Collect to download the media
folder and its contents from a Google Drive?

My current workaround is to manually copy & paste the media folder onto the
phone.
This works well for me, but unfortunately, this is an unacceptable way for
our use case where multiple (non-tech) people in the field need to get an
update on a regular basis.
I wouldn't mind if the user had to manually select the media folder, but
ODK Collect only allows to select xml files.

All suggestions welcome and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Best regards,
Rob

Hi Robby,

Thanks so much for the 5 star review. It helps make ODK visible to
more people and that's a great thing!

I can confirm this is a bug. Collect should download the media folder
automatically.

I've filed the bug at
https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/290. If you have some
dev cycles, comment on the issue to claim it, and give it a whirl. And
if you have any questions, ask in the issue and someone will jump in
to help.

Thanks,

Yaw

··· On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Robby wrote: > Dear ODK Community and Developers, > > First of all: A big THANK YOU to all developers - ODK is such a wonderful > tool, I love the app and gave it 5* in Google Play! > > My challenge: How to get ODK Collect to download a "media" folder > automatically from a Google Drive. Is there a way to do it? > Can this work somehow, or is it unsupported at the moment, or even a bug? > > Downloading the bird example with the media folder and files (from ODK > Aggregate) works perfectly fine, but I have trouble getting my own media > folders to download. > I noticed that the media folders (with csv and/or jpg files in it) are not > automatically downloaded if I host them on my Google Drive. > > Example: > > I store > myform.xml > myform-media (folder with csv file in it) > > Is there anything I can do to "convince" ODK Collect to download the media > folder and its contents from a Google Drive? > > My current workaround is to manually copy & paste the media folder onto the > phone. > This works well for me, but unfortunately, this is an unacceptable way for > our use case where multiple (non-tech) people in the field need to get an > update on a regular basis. > I wouldn't mind if the user had to manually select the media folder, but ODK > Collect only allows to select xml files. > > All suggestions welcome and I look forward to hearing back from you! > > Best regards, > Rob > > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Yaw,

Many thanks for this - I was wondering, and it's good to hear that you
confirm it.
I had trouble with the itemsets.csv (in the media folder) and
unfortunately, I won't be able to fix this anytime soon I think.

Nevertheless, I'll have a look at the code and see what I can contribute.
I am definitely willing to assist with any testing and I can confirm the
issue also exists with the media-folder and itemsets.csv in it.
(I have no jpg or other files in the media folder, jus the itemsets.csv).

Thanks for the confirmation - it's great to know one is not alone with this!

Cheers
Robby

··· On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 5:17:40 PM UTC+10, Robby wrote: > > Dear ODK Community and Developers, > > First of all: *A big THANK YOU to all developers* - ODK is such a > wonderful tool, I love the app and gave it 5* in Google Play! > > *My challenge: How to get ODK Collect to download a "media" folder > automatically from a Google Drive. Is there a way to do it?* > Can this work somehow, or is it unsupported at the moment, or even a bug? > > Downloading the bird example with the media folder and files (from ODK > Aggregate) works perfectly fine, but I have trouble getting my own media > folders to download. > I noticed that the media folders (with csv and/or jpg files in it) are not > automatically downloaded if I host them on my Google Drive. > > Example: > > I store > *myform.xml* > *myform-media* (folder with csv file in it) > > Is there anything I can do to "convince" ODK Collect to download the media > folder and its contents from a Google Drive? > > My current workaround is to manually copy & paste the media folder onto > the phone. > This works well for me, but unfortunately, this is an unacceptable way for > our use case where multiple (non-tech) people in the field need to get an > update on a regular basis. > I wouldn't mind if the user had to manually select the media folder, but > ODK Collect only allows to select xml files. > > All suggestions welcome and I look forward to hearing back from you! > > Best regards, > Rob > > >