Central 502 Bad Gateway

@yanokwa @Matthew_White I've been stuck with this error since the last 6 hours too.
"Something went wrong: the server returned an invalid error."

Welcome to the ODK forum, @antzshrek!
Could you tell us the version numbers and paste the output of the above mentioned commands?

@Florian_May Okay, but I can't check the version of ODK becusse it won't even allow me login, but that of docker is below:

docker-compose version 1.29.2

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
My ODK central was working perfectly fine before I decided to update it to the recent release of ODK using this URL (https://docs.getodk.org/central-upgrade/), everything went fine. After the update, I couldn't sign into the admin account again, it keeps returning "Something went wrong: the server returned an invalid error."

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

Using Docker version 20.10.12 on Ubuntu 20.04

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

I have tried this Can't Login, Something went wrong: the server returned an invalid error - #6 by Nasir_Rashid but no success

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

You'll need to SSH into the VM that server runs on to run the other commands.

@Florian_May what other commands?

Ah, sorry, they were on the original thread you replied to before this got moved to a new thread.

If you SSH into your server, you could run in the central folder

# Logs tell us if there's anything wrong when running the server
docker-compose logs

# Is there enough disk space left in the VM?
df -h

There are also helpful ideas in https://docs.getodk.org/central-troubleshooting/

Post the output here (sanitised from identifying information) so the volunteers here can figure out likely error causes.

@Florian_May wanted posting the logs too, but the log file alone is more than 80MB, and there's enough space on my server, I have about 1.1TB available

@yanokwa @Florian_May I don't know if this will help

It sounds like you have a bad config in a file you've edited. From the error message, I bet you edited files/service/config.json.template and added a # for a comment, but JSON doesn't support allow comments.

Thank you @yanokwa I have removed all the comment, but still have same error.

Have you rebuilt the images with docker-compose up -d --build?

1 Like

Yeah @Florian_May I have tried running docker-compose build and docker-compose up -d --build several times, but it keeps returning some error on the ngixn.
Some screenshot below might help