Connection issues for ODK over Vodafone in Tanzania

She can place calls, browse to a web page, and even browse to the
appspot aggregate instance online with Vodafone GPRS/3G. She can
download forms and submit them over a wifi connection, but cannot
download forms or upload them over GPRS/3G on Vodafone.

The internet connection is setup through an APN with the following
settings:

Name: Vodacom
APN: apn
Proxy: 10.154.000.008
Port: 9401
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MCC: 640
MNC: 04
APN Type:

Any thoughts? I can't figure out why the ODK app would behave
differently from the browser - ports? APN setup?

Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

Very strange/no idea.

Try setting the APN to "internet". Also, make sure to enable GPRS on
the sim card (might happen automatically). I think we experienced some
strange stuff where it seemed like there was a difference between
enabling and using WAP services for browsing and enabling/using GPRS
for apps to access the 'net. That was all on Nokia phones though, so
might not be relevant at all.

http://www.vodacom.co.tz/docs/docredir.asp?docid=3435 talks about
activating Internet vs WAP. Try SMSing "INTERNET " to
15300. We've had mixed results. Sometimes says "internet already
enabled", sometimes sends settings. Even if it sends settings seems to
be hit or miss if the help or not...

Good luck!

Brian

··· On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Ryan Hartford wrote: > She can place calls, browse to a web page, and even browse to the > appspot aggregate instance online with Vodafone GPRS/3G. She can > download forms and submit them over a wifi connection, but cannot > download forms or upload them over GPRS/3G on Vodafone. > > The internet connection is setup through an APN with the following > settings: > > Name: Vodacom > APN: apn > Proxy: 10.154.000.008 > Port: 9401 > Username: > Password: > Server: > MMSC: > MMS Proxy: > MMS Port: > MCC: 640 > MNC: 04 > APN Type: > > Any thoughts? I can't figure out why the ODK app would behave > differently from the browser - ports? APN setup? > > Any help is appreciated. > > Ryan >

it's gonna be pretty hard to diagnose this remotely. you'll have to
grab a copy of the source and add some debug statements to figure out
what is going on.

i've found that https often doesn't work because the carriers have
proxies sitting between you and the server. the same proxies can also
cause problems with the http response codes we look for.

··· On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:06, Brian DeRenzi wrote: > Very strange/no idea. > > Try setting the APN to "internet". Also, make sure to enable GPRS on > the sim card (might happen automatically). I think we experienced some > strange stuff where it seemed like there was a difference between > enabling and using WAP services for browsing and enabling/using GPRS > for apps to access the 'net. That was all on Nokia phones though, so > might not be relevant at all. > > http://www.vodacom.co.tz/docs/docredir.asp?docid=3435 talks about > activating Internet vs WAP. Try SMSing "INTERNET " to > 15300. We've had mixed results. Sometimes says "internet already > enabled", sometimes sends settings. Even if it sends settings seems to > be hit or miss if the help or not... > > Good luck! > > Brian > > > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Ryan Hartford wrote: >> She can place calls, browse to a web page, and even browse to the >> appspot aggregate instance online with Vodafone GPRS/3G. She can >> download forms and submit them over a wifi connection, but cannot >> download forms or upload them over GPRS/3G on Vodafone. >> >> The internet connection is setup through an APN with the following >> settings: >> >> Name: Vodacom >> APN: apn >> Proxy: 10.154.000.008 >> Port: 9401 >> Username: >> Password: >> Server: >> MMSC: >> MMS Proxy: >> MMS Port: >> MCC: 640 >> MNC: 04 >> APN Type: >> >> Any thoughts? I can't figure out why the ODK app would behave >> differently from the browser - ports? APN setup? >> >> Any help is appreciated. >> >> Ryan >> >

Brian,

Your first suggestion was right on - changing the APN to "internet"
solved the issue and allowed forms to be submitted.

Nice work, and thanks for the quick response(s), much appreciated.

Ryan

··· On Jun 22, 1:36 pm, Brian DeRenzi wrote: > Very strange/no idea. > > Try setting the APN to "internet". Also, make sure to enable GPRS on > the sim card (might happen automatically). I think we experienced some > strange stuff where it seemed like there was a difference between > enabling and using WAP services for browsing and enabling/using GPRS > for apps to access the 'net. That was all on Nokia phones though, so > might not be relevant at all. > > http://www.vodacom.co.tz/docs/docredir.asp?docid=3435talks about > activating Internet vs WAP. Try SMSing "INTERNET " to > 15300. We've had mixed results. Sometimes says "internet already > enabled", sometimes sends settings. Even if it sends settings seems to > be hit or miss if the help or not... > > Good luck! > > Brian > > > > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Ryan Hartford wrote: > > She can place calls, browse to a web page, and even browse to the > > appspot aggregate instance online with Vodafone GPRS/3G. She can > > download forms and submit them over a wifi connection, but cannot > > download forms or upload them over GPRS/3G on Vodafone. > > > The internet connection is setup through an APN with the following > > settings: > > > Name: Vodacom > > APN: apn > > Proxy: 10.154.000.008 > > Port: 9401 > > Username: > > Password: > > Server: > > MMSC: > > MMS Proxy: > > MMS Port: > > MCC: 640 > > MNC: 04 > > APN Type: > > > Any thoughts? I can't figure out why the ODK app would behave > > differently from the browser - ports? APN setup? > > > Any help is appreciated. > > > Ryan