Connection timeout after upgrading to Central v1.2

Hello, I experience the same symptom but the "service" log shows a connection timeout.

Is there any way how to find out where it tries to connect?

Thanks

::ffff:172.18.0.9 - - [25/May/2021:15:02:59 +0000] "GET /v1/sessions/restore HTTP/1.0" 404 76
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:85:5)ConnectionError: Connection terminated due to connection timeout
at Object.createConnection (/usr/odk/node_modules/slonik/dist/src/factories/createConnection.js:54:23)

::ffff:172.18.0.9 - - [25/May/2021:15:03:23 +0000] "POST /v1/sessions HTTP/1.0" 500 357

Hi @Jan_Vrana! As part of v1.2, we've changed how we connect to the database. We construct a Postgres connection string by inserting the values for host, user, password, and database name specified in the configuration file:

postgres://user:password@host/dbname
  • Do you specify all four of these values in your configuration file?
  • Does your password contain a special character like @?
1 Like

Hi Matthew,

Yes, I do specify all necessary values (I believe). Password does contain special characters (e.g. "*", ")", "(") but actually not "@"

My files/service/config.json.template:

{
  "default": {
    "database": {
      "host": [hostname],
	  "port": 25060,
      "user": [username],
      "password": [password],
      "database": [dbname],
	  "ssl": true
    },
	"email": {

Thanks Jan

1 Like

I think the main issue is that the properties port and ssl were allowed in v1.1, but are now ignored. I actually don't see anywhere that we document port and ssl. Did you find those in the Knex.js documentation, or did you just notice that they worked?

To specify the port, I think you can include that in the host property.

We don't have a good way right now to specify named parameters, including ssl=true. If you must specify ssl=true, you could try shoving it into the database name, since that comes last in the connection string: "database": "mydb?ssl=true". However, I'm not sure I recommend that, because the database property is intended for the database name, and this approach might not be supported in a future version.

I can't tell whether there's an issue with your password. Central v1.2 does not currently encode the password for the connection string, so there can be an issue if your password contains a symbol with special meaning. In that case, you should either change your password to something without the symbol, or percent-encode the symbol.

For more background on all this, check out the documentation on Postgres connection URIs: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-connect.html#LIBPQ-CONNSTRING

I'll also file a GitHub issue so that we can think more about encoding the password and specifying named parameters.

2 Likes

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the hint, this finally worked:

{
  "default": {
    "database": {
      "host": "hostname:25060",
      "user": "username",
      "password": "password",
      "database": "database?ssl=true"
    },
	"email": {

so it looks like that namely additional named parameters will be necessary to support.

Thanks Jan

3 Likes

Seconded, thanks for figuring that out, Jan!
I faintly remember having an SSL parameter in my db config, and an @ in the db username.