Continuation of previous thread - Location does not work in ODK collect on Froyo phone

Dear all,

This is try #4 to reply. All the messages in my thread don't seem to
show up - not sure what is going on today. I tried Yaw's suggestions,
but GPS is already enabled and the suggested 3rd party GPS program did
not make a difference to ODK Collect's behavior. It still does not
work on a Huawei Ideos U8150. Location is a key function for us. Is
there any way to get this fixed? Thanks.

Best,
David

david,

the mailing list is moderated. if you are not subscribed to the list,
every post you send has to be approved. depending on when you send it,
it can take some time.

i didn't expect the gps program would make a difference to collect,
but it helps track down the problem. can you confirm how many
satellites you are seeing and what the accuracy is? it should look
like http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/device1_250.png.

location works for most people using odk. we'll do our best to track
down the bug, but without the physical phone in hand to test, it's
going to take some time.

yaw

··· On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:35, David wrote: > Dear all, > > This is try #4 to reply. All the messages in my thread don't seem to > show up - not sure what is going on today. I tried Yaw's suggestions, > but GPS is already enabled and the suggested 3rd party GPS program did > not make a difference to ODK Collect's behavior. It still does not > work on a Huawei Ideos U8150. Location is a key function for us. Is > there any way to get this fixed? Thanks. > > Best, > David > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Thanks for the explanation. I quickly see 10 satellites, but the accuracy
and altitude are not indicated, rather the wait symbol instead. At the same
time, the margin of error indicated in Google maps is minimal. Thanks for
your help.

Best,
David

david,

it can take some time.

http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/device1_250.png.

··· On 30-Mar-2011 12:27 AM, "Yaw Anokwa" wrote: > > location works for most people using odk. we'll do our best to track > down the bug, but without the physical phone in hand to test, it's > going to take some time. > > yaw > > On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:35, David wrote: >> Dear all, >> >> This is try #4 to reply. All the messages in my thread don't seem to >> show up - not sure what is going on today. I tried Yaw's suggestions, >> but GPS is already enabled and the suggested 3rd party GPS program did >> not make a difference to ODK Collect's behavior. It still does not >> work on a Huawei Ideos U8150. Location is a key function for us. Is >> there any way to get this fixed? Thanks. >> >> Best, >> David >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>

android's localization works by reading data from a few sources: cell
towers, wifi access points, and gps. odk collect is designed to ignore
those first two and use the true gps. why? well it turns out
localization via cell and wifi data while quick (as shown in google
maps and gps satus), it is inaccurate in developing regions. when we
were in rural uganda it said we were in afghanistan...

the downside in using true gps is that it requires a long period of
initialization (a few minutes). this is especially bad if you have
moved a long distance from where the phone last got gps lock. the best
way to solve the problem is by leaving the gps status app on for a few
minutes with a clear view of that sky. that'll get all the data you
need and once the accuracy/altitude data starts showing up, you'll
know things are working.

once that data is in the gps chip, odk collect can get location locks
very quickly. so, my advice is to wait until gps status reports things
like altitude and accuracy...

··· On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 09:50, David A. Raitzer wrote: > Thanks for the explanation. I quickly see 10 satellites, but the accuracy > and altitude are not indicated, rather the wait symbol instead. At the same > time, the margin of error indicated in Google maps is minimal. Thanks for > your help. > > Best, > David > > On 30-Mar-2011 12:27 AM, "Yaw Anokwa" wrote: >> david, >> >> the mailing list is moderated. if you are not subscribed to the list, >> every post you send has to be approved. depending on when you send it, >> it can take some time. >> >> i didn't expect the gps program would make a difference to collect, >> but it helps track down the problem. can you confirm how many >> satellites you are seeing and what the accuracy is? it should look >> like >> http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/device1_250.png. >> >> location works for most people using odk. we'll do our best to track >> down the bug, but without the physical phone in hand to test, it's >> going to take some time. >> >> yaw >> >> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:35, David wrote: >>> Dear all, >>> >>> This is try #4 to reply. All the messages in my thread don't seem to >>> show up - not sure what is going on today. I tried Yaw's suggestions, >>> but GPS is already enabled and the suggested 3rd party GPS program did >>> not make a difference to ODK Collect's behavior. It still does not >>> work on a Huawei Ideos U8150. Location is a key function for us. Is >>> there any way to get this fixed? Thanks. >>> >>> Best, >>> David >>> >>> -- >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >

Yaw,

Many thanks. I now see that this works if I wait a few minutes. Most other
programs (including Episurveyor) seem to pull a location so fast (a few
seconds) on this that I got used to not waiting. The one issue is that this
may cause confusion for field surveyors, as the phone will go to sleep
before coordinates are registered under the default settings.

Best,
David

··· On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

android's localization works by reading data from a few sources: cell
towers, wifi access points, and gps. odk collect is designed to ignore
those first two and use the true gps. why? well it turns out
localization via cell and wifi data while quick (as shown in google
maps and gps satus), it is inaccurate in developing regions. when we
were in rural uganda it said we were in afghanistan...

the downside in using true gps is that it requires a long period of
initialization (a few minutes). this is especially bad if you have
moved a long distance from where the phone last got gps lock. the best
way to solve the problem is by leaving the gps status app on for a few
minutes with a clear view of that sky. that'll get all the data you
need and once the accuracy/altitude data starts showing up, you'll
know things are working.

once that data is in the gps chip, odk collect can get location locks
very quickly. so, my advice is to wait until gps status reports things
like altitude and accuracy...

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 09:50, David A. Raitzer david.raitzer@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I quickly see 10 satellites, but the accuracy
and altitude are not indicated, rather the wait symbol instead. At the
same
time, the margin of error indicated in Google maps is minimal. Thanks for
your help.

Best,
David

On 30-Mar-2011 12:27 AM, "Yaw Anokwa" yanokwa@gmail.com wrote:

david,

it can take some time.

http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/device1_250.png

location works for most people using odk. we'll do our best to track
down the bug, but without the physical phone in hand to test, it's
going to take some time.

yaw

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:35, David david.raitzer@gmail.com wrote:

Dear all,

This is try #4 to reply. All the messages in my thread don't seem to
show up - not sure what is going on today. I tried Yaw's suggestions,
but GPS is already enabled and the suggested 3rd party GPS program did
not make a difference to ODK Collect's behavior. It still does not
work on a Huawei Ideos U8150. Location is a key function for us. Is
there any way to get this fixed? Thanks.

Best,
David

--
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

glad it's working! it should continue to try to fetch the location
even if the screen is off, but agreed that we could make this more
elegant. i'll note it for our next release.

··· On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 21:21, David A. Raitzer wrote: > Yaw, > > Many thanks. I now see that this works if I wait a few minutes. Most other > programs (including Episurveyor) seem to pull a location so fast (a few > seconds) on this that I got used to not waiting. The one issue is that this > may cause confusion for field surveyors, as the phone will go to sleep > before coordinates are registered under the default settings. > > Best, > David > > > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> >> android's localization works by reading data from a few sources: cell >> towers, wifi access points, and gps. odk collect is designed to ignore >> those first two and use the true gps. why? well it turns out >> localization via cell and wifi data while quick (as shown in google >> maps and gps satus), it is inaccurate in developing regions. when we >> were in rural uganda it said we were in afghanistan... >> >> the downside in using true gps is that it requires a long period of >> initialization (a few minutes). this is especially bad if you have >> moved a long distance from where the phone last got gps lock. the best >> way to solve the problem is by leaving the gps status app on for a few >> minutes with a clear view of that sky. that'll get all the data you >> need and once the accuracy/altitude data starts showing up, you'll >> know things are working. >> >> once that data is in the gps chip, odk collect can get location locks >> very quickly. so, my advice is to wait until gps status reports things >> like altitude and accuracy... >> >> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 09:50, David A. Raitzer wrote: >> > Thanks for the explanation. I quickly see 10 satellites, but the >> > accuracy >> > and altitude are not indicated, rather the wait symbol instead. At the >> > same >> > time, the margin of error indicated in Google maps is minimal. Thanks >> > for >> > your help. >> > >> > Best, >> > David >> > >> > On 30-Mar-2011 12:27 AM, "Yaw Anokwa" wrote: >> >> david, >> >> >> >> the mailing list is moderated. if you are not subscribed to the list, >> >> every post you send has to be approved. depending on when you send it, >> >> it can take some time. >> >> >> >> i didn't expect the gps program would make a difference to collect, >> >> but it helps track down the problem. can you confirm how many >> >> satellites you are seeing and what the accuracy is? it should look >> >> like >> >> >> >> http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/device1_250.png. >> >> >> >> location works for most people using odk. we'll do our best to track >> >> down the bug, but without the physical phone in hand to test, it's >> >> going to take some time. >> >> >> >> yaw >> >> >> >> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:35, David wrote: >> >>> Dear all, >> >>> >> >>> This is try #4 to reply. All the messages in my thread don't seem to >> >>> show up - not sure what is going on today. I tried Yaw's suggestions, >> >>> but GPS is already enabled and the suggested 3rd party GPS program did >> >>> not make a difference to ODK Collect's behavior. It still does not >> >>> work on a Huawei Ideos U8150. Location is a key function for us. Is >> >>> there any way to get this fixed? Thanks. >> >>> >> >>> Best, >> >>> David >> >>> >> >>> -- >> >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >>> >> > > >