Csv download for form with a loop

So I tried to download the csv for my data and all it send was a link to the
on-line display of the data. How do I get the data?
-steve-

i'm assuming you are using aggregate v0.9.4. under submissions you
should be able to hit the 'download csv' button and depending on the
browser, it should pop up a download csv option. there is no
intelligent way to bundle images in a csv (as it is a text format) so
we keep the images on the server. if you want them use the briefcase
link.

··· On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 19:17, Steve Roberts wrote: > So I tried to download the csv for my data and all it send was a link to the > on-line display of the data. How do I get the data? > -steve- > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Steve,

Check out the wiki page regarding the Briefcase. Its a java applet that is
part of Aggregate 1.0 (alpha 5). While it has some functionality for
reaching into loops and nests (using Xpath in the query), the resultant CSV
files are split up into separate files and often separate folders. And so
far I have not been successful in downloading binary data that is in either
looped or nested question nodes.

My initial assessment is that while Briefcase 1.0 is a beginning, it only
currently "gets the data out" -- which helps if your datastore is AppEngine.
But it doesn't get the data out in a nice, query-able format. That requires
further parsing with other tools (like perl).

Much more interesting to me than Briefcase is having the data in Aggregate
being backed by MySQL. I wouldn't mind if the ODK team published a few docs
about their SQL schema with some sample query statements to produce a report
for a record with nested and/or looped information.

http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/ODKBriefcase
(Note here: the 0.9.3 rev I had didn't have the applet, but the 1.0 did)

Stuart

··· On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Steve Roberts wrote:

So I tried to download the csv for my data and all it send was a link to
the on-line display of the data. How do I get the data?
-steve-

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Hi Yaw,

Yes it is v0.9.4 Clicking the 'download csv' button downs load a file
containing this --> "Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:04:42 AM UTC","
http://myAccount.appspot.com/formMultipleValue?formElementKey=agxnYW1lZGF5ZmlsbXpycQsSBEZvcm0iE2J1aWxkX1BTXzEyOTY3MDEzNjYMCxILRm9ybUVsZW1lbnQiF2RhdGFidWlsZF9QU18xMjk2NzAxMzY2DAsSC0Zvcm1FbGVtZW50IhtNYWluTG9vcGJ1aWxkX1BTXzEyOTY3MDEzNjYM&parentKey=agxnYW1lZGF5ZmlsbXpyGQsSE2J1aWxkX1BTXzEyOTY3MDEzNjYYBAw&odkId=build_PS_1296701366&kind=build_PS_1296701366MainLoop
"

My form example without a looping branch seems to work as expected. I'm not
using photos so that is not a problem.

Thanks,

-steve-

··· On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

i'm assuming you are using aggregate v0.9.4. under submissions you
should be able to hit the 'download csv' button and depending on the
browser, it should pop up a download csv option. there is no
intelligent way to bundle images in a csv (as it is a text format) so
we keep the images on the server. if you want them use the briefcase
link.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 19:17, Steve Roberts steve@roberts.org wrote:

So I tried to download the csv for my data and all it send was a link to
the
on-line display of the data. How do I get the data?
-steve-

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

hmmm. Yes I was just going to pull out the data and put it into a mySQL
data base myself. My data is all uniform with just one group from start to
finish. (I just use a looping group to avoid all the key strokes starting a
new form.) I'll look at briefcase and the link that Yaw gave me for Kobo.
-steve-

··· On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Stuart Moffatt wrote:

Steve,

Check out the wiki page regarding the Briefcase. Its a java applet that is
part of Aggregate 1.0 (alpha 5). While it has some functionality for
reaching into loops and nests (using Xpath in the query), the resultant CSV
files are split up into separate files and often separate folders. And so
far I have not been successful in downloading binary data that is in either
looped or nested question nodes.

My initial assessment is that while Briefcase 1.0 is a beginning, it only
currently "gets the data out" -- which helps if your datastore is AppEngine.
But it doesn't get the data out in a nice, query-able format. That requires
further parsing with other tools (like perl).

Much more interesting to me than Briefcase is having the data in Aggregate
being backed by MySQL. I wouldn't mind if the ODK team published a few docs
about their SQL schema with some sample query statements to produce a report
for a record with nested and/or looped information.

http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/ODKBriefcase
(Note here: the 0.9.3 rev I had didn't have the applet, but the 1.0 did)

Stuart

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Steve Roberts steve@roberts.org wrote:

So I tried to download the csv for my data and all it send was a link to
the on-line display of the data. How do I get the data?
-steve-

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comopendatakit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Briefcase is available in BOTH v0.9.4 and in the v1.0alpha5.

In both, you can choose to "download nested repeat groups" to download what
you refer to as loops. You can also choose to either leave the citations of
the binary data as links back to the aggregate server or download them to
your local system.

If you download nested repeat groups, it places data for each repeat group
into a single csv, with links to the parent and child groups (which are kept
as links back to the aggregate server). For example, if you had a household
group with a nested repeat group of child and that with a nested repeat
group of children's toy, Briefcase would create three .csv files, one for
Households, one for Children, and one for Children's Toys. The rows in the
Children would have a PARENT_KEY that would match the KEY in the Households
csv under which this child would appear. And the same for a child's toy row
linking back to the child.

The underlying webserver servlet that the Briefcase applet uses is
/csvFragment. The structure of the returned data may change across releases
(e.g., between v0.9.4 and v1.0, the xpath-like expression has changed).

··· --------------- MySQL --

The 1.0 Alpha 5 release has an installer for a MySQL-based Aggregate, and it
also supports Postgres, though there is not yet an installer for that.

I've started the wiki on the database schema here:
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/AggregateDatabaseStructure

Mitch

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Steve Roberts steve@roberts.org wrote:

Hi Yaw,

Yes it is v0.9.4 Clicking the 'download csv' button downs load a file
containing this --> "Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:04:42 AM UTC","
http://myAccount.appspot.com/formMultipleValue?formElementKey=agxnYW1lZGF5ZmlsbXpycQsSBEZvcm0iE2J1aWxkX1BTXzEyOTY3MDEzNjYMCxILRm9ybUVsZW1lbnQiF2RhdGFidWlsZF9QU18xMjk2NzAxMzY2DAsSC0Zvcm1FbGVtZW50IhtNYWluTG9vcGJ1aWxkX1BTXzEyOTY3MDEzNjYM&parentKey=agxnYW1lZGF5ZmlsbXpyGQsSE2J1aWxkX1BTXzEyOTY3MDEzNjYYBAw&odkId=build_PS_1296701366&kind=build_PS_1296701366MainLoop
"

My form example without a looping branch seems to work as expected. I'm
not using photos so that is not a problem.

Thanks,

-steve-

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Yaw Anokwa yanokwa@gmail.com wrote:

i'm assuming you are using aggregate v0.9.4. under submissions you
should be able to hit the 'download csv' button and depending on the
browser, it should pop up a download csv option. there is no
intelligent way to bundle images in a csv (as it is a text format) so
we keep the images on the server. if you want them use the briefcase
link.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 19:17, Steve Roberts steve@roberts.org wrote:

So I tried to download the csv for my data and all it send was a link to
the
on-line display of the data. How do I get the data?
-steve-

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer


University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com