CSV files downloaded from the server

Hello ODK Forum, kindly assist me, I have a question with CSV files. When designing the XLform in the choices sheet; I created 3 columns; one for "type", another column for "name", and a third column for "label". But now the problem I have is that when I get my data from the survey, the responses do not come the way I put on the label column, instead they come the way I put them in the name column. But on the tablet they are just OK.....For example a question like; who is responsible for making decision in the household with the following option:

1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Male and Female
    When I download CSV files, option 3 would come as "Male_and_Female" just like it was done in the name column. What could be the problem?
    My second question, is on maintenance of ODK server. I created my server on google app engine on the cloud. Do you think I will have problems with maintaining the server since am not paying any subscription fee? Can I do a survey involving 1000 participants (sample size) without having problems in accessing the data at the end of the survey? Thank you in advance.

Hi @Kakwasha

Could you attach your form or just a sample form that shows the same issue?

WEFI_Questionnaire_odk forum.xlsx (22.9 KB) , WEFI_Questionnaire_csv file downloaded.csv (5.2 KB)

I have attached the XLform and also a csv file (see the highlighted yellow). Thanks.

Is that a csv from Aggregate right?

yes, it is from aggregate. I was testing the tool.

WEFI_Questionnaire_csv file downloaded.csv (5.2 KB) WEFI_Questionnaire_odk forum.xlsx (22.9 KB)

Hello, in the choices sheet, I defined the "type" column, "name colum", and "label column". But now the problem I have is that when I get my data from the server in csv file, the responses do not come the way I put them on the "label column" in the choices sheet, instead they come the way I put them in the "name column" see attached csv file, highlighted in yellow. But on the tablet they are just OK.....For example a question like; who is responsible for making decision in the household with the following option:

1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Male and Female
    When I download CSV files, option 3 would come as "Male_and_Female" just like it was done in the name column. What could be the problem?
    My second question, is on maintenance of ODK server. I created my server on google app engine on the cloud. Do you think I will have problems with maintaining the server since am not paying any subscription fee? Can I do a survey involving 1000 participants (sample size) without having problems in accessing the data at the end of the survey? Thank you in advance.

This is how the tool works. See the docs

Concerning the fee, it depends on the data submitted, once your quota is finished, you will have to pay. It is hard to estimate the number.

As @dicksonsamwel mentioned, that is how ODK Collect is supposed to be used. It is further explained in the Choices Worksheet structure section of the XLSForm website.

For the amount of surveys you are foreseeing you should be ok as long as you follow the recommendations for minimizing fees and you are aware of the limitations of the free quota provided by Google Cloud.

3 Likes