Currency field in form

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I would like my form to have a field that when my user enters a number it looks like USD currency.
2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
I'm using Excel on a Win10 machine.
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I've tried configuring in appearance and in style.
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
I've tried various expressions.
5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
I understand how to calculate a field to currency, but I can't find on the forum where it is simply an entry.

Hi @IDOT_jrm,

Is there any particular formatting you had in mind?

My suggestion would be to just specify in the label that the amount needs to be in USD.
You could then have an integer or decimal question type, depending on whether you need the users to enter the cents as well.

Unless you need to sum or do other operations with multiple variables, you might not need a calculate field for this case.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Andrea

Thanks for the reply Andrea.
I have already set the type to decimal but was hoping there was a way in style or in appearance to show the entry, after clicking off of it, as USD currency.

Hi @IDOT_jrm,

To display the thousand separator you could use the appearance thousands-sep (available in Collect v1.12+ for integer, decimal and string number types). See Automatically generate commas in value fields for every 1000 - #5 by Frances

If you are interested in displaying the USD symbol, a work around could be to display the result in a new variable, type note, Including in the label the "$" symbol followed by the variable with the amount entered by the user.

Best,
Andrea

1 Like