break;
}

showCustomToast(constraintText);
    mBeenSwiped = false;
}

Now instead of the default text, the constraintMsg property is used if
it is available.

Another question - I don't see any way to translate this text based on
the currently selected language. Is this possible?

Thanks
Adi

Forgot to mention, due to the way getConstraint works - you still need
to add in a constraint.

e.g. for a string type I have been using constraint=". != ''"

the constraint has to be valid - so for a numeric type, I have been
using constraint=". != -999" (somewhat hackish i know)

I'm not sure what to do for a geopoint type - any suggestions?

Adi

··· On Oct 2, 7:59 am, Adi Eyal wrote: > Hi All > > I would like to customise the text that appears when a required field > is not completed. At the moment, you get the standard "Sorry, this > response is required!" - I would prefer a field-specific message. I'm > not sure if there is another way to achieve this, but I changed the > createConstraintToast method in activities/FormEntryActivity.java to > look as follows: > > private void createConstraintToast(String constraintText, int > saveStatus) { > switch (saveStatus) { > case FormEntryController.ANSWER_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATED: > if (constraintText == null) { > constraintText = > getString(R.string.invalid_answer_error); > } > break; > case FormEntryController.ANSWER_REQUIRED_BUT_EMPTY: > if (constraintText == null) { > constraintText = > getString(R.string.required_answer_error); > } > break; > } > > showCustomToast(constraintText); > mBeenSwiped = false; > } > > Now instead of the default text, the constraintMsg property is used if > it is available. > > Another question - I don't see any way to translate this text based on > the currently selected language. Is this possible? > > Thanks > Adi

Adi,
I see you have a couple skip logic related questions; you might find it
easier to use a GUI for writing your skip logic. Try this:
http://formbuilder.kobotoolbox.org/KoBoFormDesigner.html

There is a Getting Started tutorial here:

And some specific help about skip logic here:

Just a tip, you are clearly already working on your survey, you don't have
to start over, just import it into the form designer
Main Menu >> Open From File

Let me know if you have any trouble.

☞§※☼:airplane::open_umbrella::slight_smile:
~Neil

··· On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Adi Eyal wrote:

Hi All

I would like to customise the text that appears when a required field
is not completed. At the moment, you get the standard "Sorry, this
response is required!" - I would prefer a field-specific message. I'm
not sure if there is another way to achieve this, but I changed the
createConstraintToast method in activities/FormEntryActivity.java to
look as follows:

private void createConstraintToast(String constraintText, int
saveStatus) {
switch (saveStatus) {
case FormEntryController.ANSWER_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATED:
if (constraintText == null) {
constraintText =
getString(R.string.invalid_answer_error);
}
break;
case FormEntryController.ANSWER_REQUIRED_BUT_EMPTY:
if (constraintText == null) {
constraintText =
getString(R.string.required_answer_error);
}
break;
}

showCustomToast(constraintText);
   mBeenSwiped = false;

}

Now instead of the default text, the constraintMsg property is used if
it is available.

Another question - I don't see any way to translate this text based on
the currently selected language. Is this possible?

Thanks
Adi

you can also make a question not required, but then do a constraint
regex that checks for blank responses. that'll get it to display the
constraint message without any source code changes.
i don't think constraint messages are localizable, but you can submit
a patch to javarosa-core that enables that. i've filed a bug
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=352 as a
reminder. feel free to submit the patch there.

··· On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 02:25, Adi Eyal wrote: > Forgot to mention, due to the way getConstraint works - you still need > to add in a constraint. > > e.g. for a string type I have been using constraint=". != ''" > > the constraint has to be valid - so for a numeric type, I have been > using constraint=". != -999" (somewhat hackish i know) > > I'm not sure what to do for a geopoint type - any suggestions? > > Adi > > On Oct 2, 7:59 am, Adi Eyal wrote: >> Hi All >> >> I would like to customise the text that appears when a required field >> is not completed. At the moment, you get the standard "Sorry, this >> response is required!" - I would prefer a field-specific message. I'm >> not sure if there is another way to achieve this, but I changed the >> createConstraintToast method in activities/FormEntryActivity.java to >> look as follows: >> >> private void createConstraintToast(String constraintText, int >> saveStatus) { >> switch (saveStatus) { >> case FormEntryController.ANSWER_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATED: >> if (constraintText == null) { >> constraintText = >> getString(R.string.invalid_answer_error); >> } >> break; >> case FormEntryController.ANSWER_REQUIRED_BUT_EMPTY: >> if (constraintText == null) { >> constraintText = >> getString(R.string.required_answer_error); >> } >> break; >> } >> >> showCustomToast(constraintText); >> mBeenSwiped = false; >> } >> >> Now instead of the default text, the constraintMsg property is used if >> it is available. >> >> Another question - I don't see any way to translate this text based on >> the currently selected language. Is this possible? >> >> Thanks >> Adi >

I tried that and it didn't work which is why I went for the above
approach. I guess I got so caught up trying to get my forms working
that I didn't think to ask this simple question. Why doesn't my
constraint below work?

the full test form is below

<h:html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms" xmlns:h="http://
www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:jr="http://
openrosa.org/javarosa">
<h:head>
<h:title>test</h:title>

Test

</h:head>
<h:body>

</h:body>
</h:html>

··· On Oct 4, 3:22 am, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > you can also make a question not required, but then do a constraint > regex that checks for blank responses. that'll get it to display the > constraint message without any source code changes. > i don't think constraint messages are localizable, but you can submit > a patch to javarosa-core that enables that. i've filed a bughttp://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=352as a > reminder. feel free to submit the patch there. > > > > > > > > On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 02:25, Adi Eyal wrote: > > Forgot to mention, due to the way getConstraint works - you still need > > to add in a constraint. > > > e.g. for a string type I have been using constraint=". != ''" > > > the constraint has to be valid - so for a numeric type, I have been > > using constraint=". != -999" (somewhat hackish i know) > > > I'm not sure what to do for a geopoint type - any suggestions? > > > Adi > > > On Oct 2, 7:59 am, Adi Eyal wrote: > >> Hi All > > >> I would like to customise the text that appears when a required field > >> is not completed. At the moment, you get the standard "Sorry, this > >> response is required!" - I would prefer a field-specific message. I'm > >> not sure if there is another way to achieve this, but I changed the > >> createConstraintToast method in activities/FormEntryActivity.java to > >> look as follows: > > >> private void createConstraintToast(String constraintText, int > >> saveStatus) { > >> switch (saveStatus) { > >> case FormEntryController.ANSWER_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATED: > >> if (constraintText == null) { > >> constraintText = > >> getString(R.string.invalid_answer_error); > >> } > >> break; > >> case FormEntryController.ANSWER_REQUIRED_BUT_EMPTY: > >> if (constraintText == null) { > >> constraintText = > >> getString(R.string.required_answer_error); > >> } > >> break; > >> } > > >> showCustomToast(constraintText); > >> mBeenSwiped = false; > >> } > > >> Now instead of the default text, the constraintMsg property is used if > >> it is available. > > >> Another question - I don't see any way to translate this text based on > >> the currently selected language. Is this possible? > > >> Thanks > >> Adi

the constraint should be != "", not !="

··· On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 22:07, Adi Eyal wrote: > I tried that and it didn't work which is why I went for the above > approach. I guess I got so caught up trying to get my forms working > that I didn't think to ask this simple question. Why doesn't my > constraint below work? > > jr:constraintMsg="This is a required field - please enter"/> > > the full test form is below > > xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:jr="http:// > openrosa.org/javarosa"> > > test > > > > > > > > > > Test > > > > > > > jr:constraintMsg="This is a required field - please enter"/> > > > > > > > > > > > > On Oct 4, 3:22 am, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> you can also make a question not required, but then do a constraint >> regex that checks for blank responses. that'll get it to display the >> constraint message without any source code changes. >> i don't think constraint messages are localizable, but you can submit >> a patch to javarosa-core that enables that. i've filed a bughttp://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=352as a >> reminder. feel free to submit the patch there. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 02:25, Adi Eyal wrote: >> > Forgot to mention, due to the way getConstraint works - you still need >> > to add in a constraint. >> >> > e.g. for a string type I have been using constraint=". != ''" >> >> > the constraint has to be valid - so for a numeric type, I have been >> > using constraint=". != -999" (somewhat hackish i know) >> >> > I'm not sure what to do for a geopoint type - any suggestions? >> >> > Adi >> >> > On Oct 2, 7:59 am, Adi Eyal wrote: >> >> Hi All >> >> >> I would like to customise the text that appears when a required field >> >> is not completed. At the moment, you get the standard "Sorry, this >> >> response is required!" - I would prefer a field-specific message. I'm >> >> not sure if there is another way to achieve this, but I changed the >> >> createConstraintToast method in activities/FormEntryActivity.java to >> >> look as follows: >> >> >> private void createConstraintToast(String constraintText, int >> >> saveStatus) { >> >> switch (saveStatus) { >> >> case FormEntryController.ANSWER_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATED: >> >> if (constraintText == null) { >> >> constraintText = >> >> getString(R.string.invalid_answer_error); >> >> } >> >> break; >> >> case FormEntryController.ANSWER_REQUIRED_BUT_EMPTY: >> >> if (constraintText == null) { >> >> constraintText = >> >> getString(R.string.required_answer_error); >> >> } >> >> break; >> >> } >> >> >> showCustomToast(constraintText); >> >> mBeenSwiped = false; >> >> } >> >> >> Now instead of the default text, the constraintMsg property is used if >> >> it is available. >> >> >> Another question - I don't see any way to translate this text based on >> >> the currently selected language. Is this possible? >> >> >> Thanks >> >> Adi >