Default Value for Skipped Question

hi all

I have an XLS where i have a a skipped question i was wondering if there is an ODK syntax to auto fill an automatically skipped question with a code like 999? to differentiate between a skipped question and a question that i have chosen not to answer (missing data).

i tried using a default value for skipped questions but default value disappears when i skip and unskip the question it replaces the default value to an empty string

For data analysis purposes i need that differentiation between the two scenarios

Can anyone help me with this?

i have attached the XLS that i am working with for your referral

skip.xls (24.5 KB)

Zahra,

There's no easy way around this. Skipped questions are, in
XForms-speak, not relevant and so that data is not sent to the
server.

One workaround to this problem is to make questions required and have
your users enter whatever null value (e.g., 999) you'd like. With this
method, if an answer is blank, then it was skipped. If it's 999, then
the user chose not to answer.

Yaw

··· -- Need ODK consultants? Nafundi provides form design, server setup, in-field training, and software development for ODK. Go to https://nafundi.com to get started.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM, zahra.zoeb@kimetrica.com wrote:

hi all

I have an XLS where i have a a skipped question i was wondering if there is an ODK syntax to auto fill an automatically skipped question with a code like 999? to differentiate between a skipped question and a question that i have chosen not to answer (missing data).

i tried using a default value for skipped questions but default value disappears when i skip and unskip the question it replaces the default value to an empty string

For data analysis purposes i need that differentiation between the two scenarios

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Sorry for interfering, if you want to give a default value for a question that might be skipped or might not appear at all use this formula
if(${rent.amount}='',0,${rent.amount})
which means if the rent amount field was empty the value for it will be zero , else the value of it will be the entered value in the rent amount field
regards

··· On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:16:26 PM UTC+3, zahra...@kimetrica.com wrote: > hi all > > I have an XLS where i have a a skipped question i was wondering if there is an ODK syntax to auto fill an automatically skipped question with a code like 999? to differentiate between a skipped question and a question that i have chosen not to answer (missing data). > > i tried using a default value for skipped questions but default value disappears when i skip and unskip the question it replaces the default value to an empty string > > For data analysis purposes i need that differentiation between the two scenarios > > Can anyone help me with this? > > i have attached the XLS that i am working with for your referral

Zahra,

There's no easy way around this. Skipped questions are, in
XForms-speak, not relevant and so that data is not sent to the
server.

One workaround to this problem is to make questions required and have
your users enter whatever null value (e.g., 999) you'd like. With this
method, if an answer is blank, then it was skipped. If it's 999, then
the user chose not to answer.

Yaw

Need ODK consultants? Nafundi provides form design, server setup,
in-field training, and software development for ODK. Go to
https://nafundi.com to get started.

hi all

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I have a similar question. I have a calculation that calculates a score (Simple addition of a few non required fields)

By adding a default value to these questions which may be skipped, will the calculation still work? I do not need to data/default values for these items to be sent to the server but i do however need to be able to calculate the score and send the value to the server.

Bashir

··· On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 7:32:47 PM UTC+2, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM, wrote:

I have tried a similar type of IF statement to enter a value for a skipped question. I placed it in the calculate column. I get a dependency cycle error,
I guess, because I am referring to the same variable in both the name column and in the IF statement. Where are you placing the IF statement to get this to work? I have attached an excel file as an example.

Thanks,

Mike

New_KST_Interview V4.xlsx (19.4 KB)

··· On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 2:21:42 AM UTC-5, mustafa...@gmail.com wrote: > On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:16:26 PM UTC+3, zahra...@kimetrica.com wrote: > > hi all > > > > I have an XLS where i have a a skipped question i was wondering if there is an ODK syntax to auto fill an automatically skipped question with a code like 999? to differentiate between a skipped question and a question that i have chosen not to answer (missing data). > > > > i tried using a default value for skipped questions but default value disappears when i skip and unskip the question it replaces the default value to an empty string > > > > For data analysis purposes i need that differentiation between the two scenarios > > > > Can anyone help me with this? > > > > i have attached the XLS that i am working with for your referral > > Sorry for interfering, if you want to give a default value for a question that might be skipped or might not appear at all use this formula > if(${rent.amount}='',0,${rent.amount}) > which means if the rent amount field was empty the value for it will be zero , else the value of it will be the entered value in the rent amount field > regards

Mike,

The default value cannot be the value in the node because that is a
bit of a paradox. It has to something else.

Yaw

··· On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM, wagner%umd.edu via ODK Community wrote: > On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 2:21:42 AM UTC-5, mustafa...@gmail.com wrote: >> On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:16:26 PM UTC+3, zahra...@kimetrica.com wrote: >> > hi all >> > >> > I have an XLS where i have a a skipped question i was wondering if there is an ODK syntax to auto fill an automatically skipped question with a code like 999? to differentiate between a skipped question and a question that i have chosen not to answer (missing data). >> > >> > i tried using a default value for skipped questions but default value disappears when i skip and unskip the question it replaces the default value to an empty string >> > >> > For data analysis purposes i need that differentiation between the two scenarios >> > >> > Can anyone help me with this? >> > >> > i have attached the XLS that i am working with for your referral >> >> Sorry for interfering, if you want to give a default value for a question that might be skipped or might not appear at all use this formula >> if(${rent.amount}='',0,${rent.amount}) >> which means if the rent amount field was empty the value for it will be zero , else the value of it will be the entered value in the rent amount field >> regards > > I have tried a similar type of IF statement to enter a value for a skipped question. I placed it in the calculate column. I get a dependency cycle error, > I guess, because I am referring to the same variable in both the name column and in the IF statement. Where are you placing the IF statement to get this to work? I have attached an excel file as an example. > > Thanks, > > Mike > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi @yanokwa, well done and thanks for the support, what is the syntax for skipping a question incase a zero is entered as a response to a question. Thanks in advance

Hi @Chris.Derrick

you need to use Relevant column to decide whether the question should be displayed based on a previous question. There is no other way of skipping questions.

1 Like

Thanks for the response @Grzesiek2010, Apologies for the delay to reply to your timely response. Much appreciated