Delete the space between a variable called and the following word in french

Hey everyone! :slight_smile:

What is the problem? Be very detailed.

My colleagues and I often meet a curious issue with some forms. We only meet this issue in french - the same form in English for example works fine.
The point is: when you call on a variable (${variable}) and the variable is at the beginning of your label (“${variable} is considered as severely malnourished based on the measures taken”), the space between the variable called upon and the following word disappears. In English you would have label “Robert is considered as severely malnourished based on the measures taken”
In French you would have: “Robertest consideré comme malnutri sévère au vu des mesures prises”

If the variable is at the end or in the middle of the sentence it works out ok:

And in English it seems to work:

What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
I am using EXCEL 2013, KOBO Humanitarian response & ODK Collect v1.22.4.

Here is an example of a form where I had the issue :
space.xls (44 KB)

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
If acceptable with the translation, put a semicolon after the name- or a comma if the French sentence starts with the Child's name first, or an introductory title.
"Robert, est consideré comme malnutri sévère au vu des mesures prises"
"MESURE: Robert est consideré comme malnutri sévère au vu des mesures prises"

In english, even if you delete the " ' " in : "${CHNAME} ’s length/height in cm" it works well too.
"Robert lenght/height in cm" instead of "Robert's lenght/height in cm"

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

1. Upload the XLSForm "Space"
  2. Try to fill it in French in ODK
  3. Observe the issue for the note:
    " ${CHNAME} est consideré comme malnutri sévère au vu des mesures prises" (row 9)
    Compare it to the english

Does anyone have an idea how to fix it?
Thank you in advance !!
Chloé :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Chloé,

I have tried it on KoBoToolbox and got the same error.
When editing the individual question in the UI and previewing it seem to be displaying the message correctly, but once deployed it skips the blank space. Very strange.

Out of curiosity, I tested the enketo version with the ODK xls conversion tool (https://opendatakit.org/xlsform/) and the error does not appear.
I'm wondering whether it might be a problem with the KoboToolBox conversion.

A workaround could be to include a special character (comma in your example) and use the markdown color option to "hide" the character by styling it in white (FFFFFF). Not sure this trick will work/be supported by KoBoToolbox though.

Good luck! :slight_smile:
Andrea

2 Likes

Hey !

Thank you very much @Andrea_Martin for the idea of an hiding character !
Hope this issue will be fix soon

All the best,
Chloé :slight_smile:

1 Like