Dependency cycles amongst the xpath expressions in relevant/calculate

Hi Good people,
I have created a form and I keep getting the ODK validate error. Here is the error message Error: b'ODK Validate Errors:\n>> Something broke the parser. See above for a hint.\nDependency cycles amongst the xpath expressions in relevant/calculate\n\nResult: Invalid'
I would like your help to go through the form and identify where the problem is. I have been at it for hours now and I keep coming back with nothing.

Thank you for your help.

Here is the form Reconnaissance_questionnaire.xlsx (72.6 KB)

As the error says, the problem is either in relevant or calculation. Since you only have the relevant column, the problem is there.

The fastest way to find the issue is to use binary search (you've done this if you've ever played a number guessing game). That is, split the problematic input in two, try the first half. If it works, the problem is the second half. Split that second half, and repeat that process until you narrow it down.

I do this by renaming the relevant column to relevant-original or whatever. Then create another relevant column and copy over the first half of the relevant values. If that works, then copy over the first half of the second half as required by binary search.

Using this technique, I found that rows 556 (othnonaturalinc) and 815 (lstloc) have bad logic in the relevant column. Both refer to themselves, which is a paradox.

4 Likes