Draft submissions not accessible when project is encrypted (missing passphrase prompt to decrypt)

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

Something I have noticed for quite some time and I completely forgot to report: it is not possible to check the submissions submitted to a draft form when the encryption with a passphrase is enabled at the project level. When downloading the data, there is no prompt for entering the passphrase and as a result only the submission metadata can be exported.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

ODK Central version:
client (v1.3.2)
server (v1.3.3)

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
N/A

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

• Select an ODK Central projet in which encryption is enabled
  • Create a new draft
  • Test the draft using Enketo or ODK Collect
  • Download the draft submission

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

N/A

Hi @Thalie! I see this behavior in some but not all cases:

• I create a new Form in a Project that uses Managed Encryption.
  • I click on the Testing tab.
  • I scan the QR code, then send a Submission.
  • I click the Refresh button.
  • I see the encrypted Submission. However, when I download Submissions, I am not prompted for the passphrase.
  • If I then refresh the page, then when I download Submissions, I am prompted for the passphrase.

Is that the behavior you see?

Actually, I see this behavior in both the Testing tab and the Submissions tab: both pages seem to have the same issue.

Oh you are definitely right @Matthew_White ! I actually get exactly the behaviour you describe, for both tabs.

I realise now that you mention it that I had never noticed this behaviour with the Submission tab. It is because I use the Testing and the Submission tabs very differently:

• in the Testing tab, I immediately want to check the submissions I sent, I click the refresh button, download the submissions and never come back to them later
  • while for the Submission tab I almost never check the submissions immediately but look at them later so that the page is always refreshed when I want to download the submissions.

And obviously very good to know that I am only one page refresh away from downloading the draft submissions :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, @Thalie! That's very helpful to hear about your workflow. I've filed a GitHub issue about this case here: https://github.com/getodk/central-frontend/issues/521

2 Likes

Thank you so much for documenting and following up!

1 Like

I just wanted to report that we've fixed this issue as part of v2023.5. Thank you for reporting this issue!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the follow-up and resolution, and best wishes for the festive season