Enketo very slow loading when editing

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.

Hi:

I have a form that has 77 responses per submission. All good with the creation, but when I want to edit a submission it takes approximately 4 minutes and 40 seconds. (to be loaded in enketo)

Is there any way to speed up the process?

3. What have you tried to fix the issue?

We changed the form, we changed cpu and we put more memory and it remains the same.

Beforehand thank you very much.

What version of Central are you using? And on what infrastructure?

Version: v1.5.3, but I have a development server that is v2023.2.0 and the same thing happens.

and in terms of infrastructure, a google cloud VM with an e2-medium From 1 to 2 virtual CPUs (1 shared core) and 4GB of memory.

And a Standard 60 GB persistent disk.

Thanks

Does your form have either form and/or submission attachments? If so, roughly how many? @ahblake has recently informed me that forms with many media attachments can take unreasonably long times to load so I wonder if you have run into another case of that.

If that's not it, it would be helpful to see the form definition if possible.

What can be done to solve this problem?
Is there any new version coming out to fix this?
Thanks

@claud.costa are you also experiencing slow load times when editing? Can you please tell us more about the form and any media attachments that either the form or submission may have?

Hi LN,
yes it has media attachments, up to 10 or more...
you can test the public form I published, hope it helps.
I can also give you access to the test project.
If you keep refresh the page eventually it opens the form.
Thanks
Claudia

1 Like

And I see that's being discussed at Certificate has expired on self-hosted Central - #5 by claud.costa I imagine you have something like a loadbalancer or other networking component that has certificate issues.

Is it ALSO slow to load completed submissions? If so, can you give us a sense of how long the form takes to load? (e.g. more than a minute)

It doesn't have any attachments, in fact, I tried creating an attached CSV file for a section of the "choices" tab with approximately 900 records, and the loading time for the submission was the same.

I conducted some tests and realized that I have different loading times on different computers. For example, on a CPU i7-7500U with 12 GB of RAM, it takes 9 minutes to open the submission, while on a CPU i7-9700K with 16 GB of RAM, it takes 4 minutes and 40 seconds to open the same submission (both computers with high-speed fiber-optic connections).

I also noticed that the Chrome tab opening the "enketo" has high CPU consumption, which corresponds to the theory that better CPU results in faster loading speed.

Lastly, I created a test form to replace the one in Central, where I removed all the "relevant" sections, and the loading time for the submission dropped to almost one-third of the previous time.

I forgot to mention that all of this happens when I want to edit a submission to clean up the data.

1 Like

That means the form has a repeat and there are 77 repeats filled in? And was the original submission created with Enketo or Collect?

That was a good idea to try! It makes sense and I'm guessing that there are additional calculates and/or constraints that account for the rest of the time.

Could you please share the form either here or in a direct message to me and @eyelidlessness who leads Enketo development? If it can be public we'd love to include it in our speed testing suite.