Entered ODK Collect data gets lost after a while

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.
At the moment I am conducting field work and using ODK to enter specific information on the places I am conducting my measurements. I have created an acknowledge "button" in survey form to which I put a trigger that collects the exact time that I press that button. This way I know the exact time I start and I finish the measurements in a given place. However, sometimes when I turn-on my screen to look at ODK Collect during the measurements, I realize that the acknowledge mark is gone and I lose all the information on the precise timing that I ticked it. There is not really any pattern for this, it happens at random circumstances. Any ideas of why this may be?

2. What steps can we take to reproduce this issue?
Example of my ODK form:

type name label calculation trigger
acknowledge Start_Measuring Start Measuring
date Date_start now() ${Start_Measuring}
time Time_start now() ${Start_Measuring}

Once I tick the Start_Measuring button on ODK Collect, I should get the exact time (HH:MM:SS) and date of when ticked it. However this button "unmarks" itself sometimes and I lose this data.

4. Upload any forms or screenshots you can share publicly below.

Hi @AdrianaVeludo
Welcome to the ODK forum. We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

by that you mean it's gone like not visible at all or it is visible but unchecked?

Could you attach your form?

Please also tell us what version of ODK Collect you are using.

Hi @Grzesiek2010,
Thank you for your reply. Attached is the form as requested.
The mark is visible but unchecks itself after a while. I think this might have to do with the battery settings on my phone. I turned off the battery restrictions for apps running in second plan and also I put no restrictions on battery usage for the ODK Collect app and so far I haven't had any more problems. Could this have been the problem?

I have the v2022.4.4 version.

Thanks again!

ODK Diary App_GOLIAT_07022023.xlsx (16.1 KB)

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue and I also don't see anything wrong in that particular question type so I'm going to ask our QA team to take a look at it when they are free, @Szymon_Rujner @dbemke please try to reproduce.

@AdrianaVeludo
Please help us with that and answer my questions below:

1. Have you noticed anything similar (disappearing answers) using other types of questions?
  2. What device are you using? (model and android version).
  3. Could you describe what battery options you had turned on exactly?

Thank you for your reply.

1. Nothing similar happens with other types of questions - only with the acknowledge button.
  2. I am using a One Plus 8 Pro - Android Version 12
  3. In terms of disabling the battery savings on my phone I did the following:
    Settings - > Apps -> Manage apps -> ODK Collect - > Battery Usage - > Allow background activity.

So far this worked, and I did not have any more problems after this, but I am not sure if there is something else that should be done.

Hi @AdrianaVeludo.
I was able to reproduce the case you described and I filed and an issue about it

3 Likes