Error "running osascript" to install ODK Aggregate

Hi,

I am trying to install the ODK Aggregator. I have set up the Google App
Engine. I downloaded the ODK Aggregate v1.N.N. Every time I run it I get
the same error message (see attached picture):

Error running osascript...cannot be used with the current OS because it has
no OSAXHandlers entry in its Info.plist.
uploadAggregateToAppEnginge.app: execution error: Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/opendatakit/appengine/updater/UpdaterWindow:
Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

I am using a Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4, and Java 8.0

You guidance is appreciated.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g7Aayczgqw4/V3twb9zyrrI/AAAAAAAAAAM/gtGT9N6SDtMrHSlg8O-UslhYhNeQipg5QCLcB/s1600/ErrorMessage.png

The error implies that you don't have Java 7 installed. I realize that you
mention you have Java 8 installed, but you may want to take a look at the
post below as there still could be PATH issues.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/opendatakit/CScXoHl6hB8

Clarice

··· On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM, wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to install the ODK Aggregator. I have set up the Google App
Engine. I downloaded the ODK Aggregate v1.N.N. Every time I run it I get
the same error message (see attached picture):

Error running osascript...cannot be used with the current OS because it
has no OSAXHandlers entry in its Info.plist.
uploadAggregateToAppEnginge.app: execution error: Exception in thread
"main"
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/opendatakit/appengine/updater/UpdaterWindow:
Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

I am using a Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4, and Java 8.0

You guidance is appreciated.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g7Aayczgqw4/V3twb9zyrrI/AAAAAAAAAAM/gtGT9N6SDtMrHSlg8O-UslhYhNeQipg5QCLcB/s1600/ErrorMessage.png

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I am having the same problem with the same error on my Mac OS X Yosemite, and Java 8.0. Java 7 does not seem available for download anymore.

Has anyone found a solution?
Thankyou!

I've updated our documentation with links to the JRE 7 page that Oracle now
seems to want to hide:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

··· On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:42 PM, wrote:

I am having the same problem with the same error on my Mac OS X Yosemite,
and Java 8.0. Java 7 does not seem available for download anymore.

Has anyone found a solution?
Thankyou!

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks for the Link. I installed Java 7 and unfortunately I am still obtaining the same error. I looked at the conversations that mentioned that there might be a problem with the PATH but have not found any solution.

Do you have any further advice please?

If you open a terminal window and type "java -version", what version do you
see? You should see something like the following.

java version "1.7.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

If your java version is a variant of 1.8, then you should set your
JAVA_HOME environment variable. In particular, you will want to open a
terminal window and type the following.

/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7

If you see a valid path and not 'Unable to find any JVMs matching version
"1.7"', then Java 7 has been installed successfully. At this point, you
can add the following line to your ~/.bash_profile file as described in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6588390/where-is-java-home-on-osx-yosemite-10-10-mavericks-10-9-mountain-lion-10.

export JAVA_HOME="$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7)"

Clarice

··· On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM, wrote:

Thanks for the Link. I installed Java 7 and unfortunately I am still
obtaining the same error. I looked at the conversations that mentioned that
there might be a problem with the PATH but have not found any solution.

Do you have any further advice please?

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks so much for the helpful response- it is now working.

From the terminal I realized that Java 7 had not been installed properly given that JDK and JRE 7 both need be installed.

Here is the link to JDK:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

Thanks again for helping solve the issue!

Hello. I'm having the same problem. OS Sierra. When I type in the java version into a terminal window it says 'java version "1.6.0_65"'. In the System Preferences, however, it says "build 1.8.0_131-b11".

Could this be the reason mine is stalling out during the Upload?

Anthony,

If you are seeing an error about an unsupported major.minor version, then it's generally because the Aggregate installer is using the wrong version of Java. And in your case, it sounds like you've got both Java 1.6 and Java 1.8 installed.

Here's what I'd recommend. In your terminal, run /usr/libexec/java_home -V to see what versions of Java you have installed.

Yaw