Export data directly from the Collect app

1. What is the general goal of the feature?
It would be great to have an option in the Collect app to export the data directly into the desired format (CSV, JSON, GEOJSON,..). Afterwards the data-file can easily be shared via E-Mail, Nextcloud, Bluetooth, whatever. So there is no more hassle to connect the phone with the computer or using a Aggregate Server.

2. What are some example use cases for this feature?
I know that the whole ODK ecosystem makes sense, especially for bigger teams, but if you are alone and just want to collect some simple data, it would be nice to simply check the data at the end of the day on a computer....

3. What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
Maybe translation (I'm speaking German, English and Portuguese)..

@bastoGrande You say it's a "hassle to connect the phone with the computer" but then say "would be nice to simply check the data at the end of the day on a computer". Those two statements are not consistent. Can you clarify?

Also, I'm curious if you have tried Briefcase or using Google Sheets as the "server"?

I am also agree with @yanokwa, If you ever try Google Sheet which is one of the best way to export data without any kind of technical skills. You should try once with Google Sheet as your server. You can look HERE for that.

Best,
@iamnarendrasingh

You are right, my fault.
To clarify this is the way how I do it now:

1. Navigate on my phone to the odk folder.
  2. Compress it.
  3. Send via E-Mail to myself.
  4. Extract the folder.
  5. Use Briefcase to export the data.

If you could export the data directly in the Collect app, you could cross out the points 1,2,4 and 5.

Might be, but sorry I'm avoiding Google services / products completely. So this is no option for me. :wink:

But if you use Collect, you are using an Android phone, which is an operating system produced by Google.

Anyway, I don't think it's a bad idea to generate a CSV on the device and allow someone to send it wherever. Doesn't feel like a priority, but if someone is motivated to spec and build it, who am I to say no?

You are right, but thanks to LineageOS I'm able to use Android without any google services. :slight_smile:

Great :partying_face: